Re: Blocked Port in NT4?

From: Thor Kottelin (thor@anta.net)
Date: 08/12/02

From: Thor Kottelin <thor@anta.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 11:42:12 +0300

Jack wrote:

> The Mozilla doc sez to add the desired port to "user.js".
> I searched the entire HD, and the registry, and there's nothing there
> named "user.js"

I'd try "prefs.js", or whatever your Netscape user preference file is
called. Of course, if we're out of luck, the preference hack won't work with
your version. It's the only possible solution I know of though, so you might
want to give it one more try.

> Could someone have
> Trojan'd me?

If you're unsure, obviously the answer is yes.
<URL:https://www.cert.org/tech_tips/home_networks.html> has some good tips
on the subject.

> I have
> uninstalled/reinstalled Netscape 3 times so far and that same error keeps
> returning.

You seem to be using a slightly dated version. I suggest upgrading to 4.79.

> I'm thinking it's something in NT that's blocking
> it.

At least the error message appears to be the same as the one Netscape uses.

Thor

--
http://thorweb.anta.net/		OH2GDF

PGP public key available IRCnet #areena

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Mailto: link causes IE 6 to crash
    ... the error message boxes pops up immediately saying Internet ... What baffles me is that the problem also happens in Firefox and Netscape ... a Web page in Outlook 2002 and in Outlook 2003 ...
  • Re: IE & Shortcuts problem
    ... As for the rest of your problems, if you can't use a browser and you think you have a virus, ... | I went to McAfee via Netscape. ... | re-install IE and got an error message 1/2 through things. ... |> Via Netscape go to McAfee and/or Trend and perform and online scan of your ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Cool Web Search
    ... NSREG.DAT is Netscape Communicator's Registry File. ... Seems that Scan Spyware is the problem. ... >> The CoolWebSearch Chronicles ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • sdtwebclient doesnt work with newer Netscape (Solaris 8)
    ... netscape -remote, and runs it without the -remote if it finds one. ... message, and so if netscape isn't already running, sdtwebclient may ... This way, it checks for the error message, but also checks for the ... to integrate decently with CDE. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Replacing some text
    ... There was when that code was originally written, and it worked in Netscape, and browsers based on Netscape. ... I'm from the school "test everything you do for absolutely every conceivable problem, and put out a meaningful error message". ... Someone once showed me something which worked like this, but at the time, not knowing what a DIV was, and knowing even less Javascript, it didn't take root in my brain. ...
    (comp.lang.javascript)