Re: Recover Encrypted Files

From: Shawn Trent (Shawn_Trent@yahoo.com)
Date: 06/21/02

From: Shawn_Trent@yahoo.com (Shawn Trent)
Date: 21 Jun 2002 07:00:48 -0700

by chance did you recover the files to a non-ntfs partition??

"Bob" <profk@erthlink.net> wrote in message news:<q3xQ8.355843$Oa1.26956045@bin8.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com>...
> Not one of my users this time! I blew away a folder of fairly valuable
> files. Not a job-loser, but embarrassing. My trusty copy of Restorer2000 did
> a fine job of recovering the files to a new folder. But Duh! The files had
> been encrypted, and when R2K entered the recovered files into the new
> folder, they retained their encryption. But they are marked as UNencrypted.
> So they can't be read, nor can they be decrypted. I'm not sure if this is an
> R2k bug or a W2k feature.
>
> Neither my key nor the recovery agent works, as the system doesn't think the
> files are actually encrypted! Even CIPHER refuses to decrypt "unencrypted"
> files (not unreasonable, really), even though it will, if asked, encrypt
> already-encrypted files for the belt&suspender set.
>
> Please post responses, as my Email address is slightly misspelled for
> sanitary reasons.
>
> Bob

Relevant Pages

  • Re: cannot retrive documents
    ... Go to the security tab and click advanced. ... Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP ... To recover encrypted files you will need the original ... encryption certificate or a Recovery Agent from the installation under which ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Xp Home Forced Access
    ... Go to the security tab and click advanced. ... Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP ... To recover encrypted files you will need the original ... encryption certificate or a Recovery Agent from the installation under which ...
  • Re: Hard drive problem
    ... Right-click the folder, select ... Go to the security tab and click advanced. ... To recover encrypted files you will need the original ... > encryption certificate or a Recovery Agent from the installation under ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Widows XP reload problem
    ... Programs need to be reinstalled from the original installation media. ... Right-click the folder, select properties. ... To recover encrypted files you will need the original ... encryption certificate or a Recovery Agent from the installation under which ...
  • Re: File Encryption
    ... If you did not back-up the encryption key or the Recovery Agent and ... > reinstall winXP. ... > preciously encrypted files to decrypt. ... > How do i decrypt the files and recover them. ...