Re: Changing local admin password in bulk

From: Steve (me@here.ca)
Date: 05/30/02

From: Steve <me@here.ca>
Date: 30 May 2002 18:18:16 GMT

mrosenbl@asymtek.com (Michael Rosenblum) wrote in
news:6c47b663.0205300707.70038e92@posting.google.com:

> I have been having problems with users finding out local
> admin passwords, and giving themselves local admin rights
> on their computers.
>
> I would like to know if anyone knows of a utility or an
> easy way to change the local admin password on about 300
> client machines. I am running NT 4.0 and Win2K machines,
> and all NT systems and all Windows 2000 systems have the
> same respective admin passwords.
>
> I do have SMS running on my network, so if someone knows a
> way to do a package through SMS, that would be great also.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Michael Rosenblum, MCSE
> Asymtek - IT Lead
> mrosenblum@asymtek.com
>
> .

Hi Michael,

Your problem is actually a bit bigger than being able to
change the local admin password. You will also need to
check all other accounts on those same systems to make
sure they are not part of the local, or worse yet, domain
admin groups as a result of finding out the local admin
passwords.

You might want to try a domain level login script to remove
any non-local admin user accounts from the local admin group.
Those users without local admin rights will have the
script fail, but local admins will have sufficient rights to
remove themselves! Poetic justice, don't you think?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Changing local admin password in bulk
    ... and giving themselves local admin rights ... > same respective admin passwords. ... > way to do a package through SMS, ... SMS package and sending the advertisement. ...
    (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)
  • Re: Changing local admin password in bulk
    ... tool to change administrator account password on multiple computers" ... and giving themselves local admin rights ... > same respective admin passwords. ...
    (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)
  • Changing local admin password in bulk
    ... and giving themselves local admin rights ... client machines. ... same respective admin passwords. ... I do have SMS running on my network, ...
    (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)
  • Changing local admin password in bulk
    ... and giving themselves local admin rights ... client machines. ... same respective admin passwords. ... I do have SMS running on my network, ...
    (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)
  • Re: Should users be local admins?
    ... If your environment is one where you maintain a corporate desktop, ... > virtually universal practice to give engineers local admin rights. ... > developers, and they shouldn't be developing on their 'work' PCs. ...