Security Permissions Hacked

From: ben.frost (ben.frost@attbi.com)
Date: 05/29/02

From: "ben.frost" <ben.frost@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 17:52:34 GMT

Hello,
I hooked up a Windows 2000 box to my network (actually, it's on a T1 by
itself) and left it over the weekend. This machine has no special purpose
and i'm going to blow it up and reinstall as a web server here real soon.
In other words, there's nothing real special on this machine and it's not
attached to anything else.
What worries me is that someone uploaded a bunch of DivX files to share with
buddies, using this server (for a day or two) as an FTP server.
I have since disconnected the server from the T1, but i cannot delete the
1.6 Gigs of files this hacker uploaded. In fact, the Security properties of
the folder are missing! The only tabs available are General and Sharing,
and the folder shows NO information such as Size, Modified, Created, etc.
I'm trying to research this and learn from it to protect myself in the
future...anyone have any suggestions regarding resetting the permissions
properties for such a hacked folder? Or even deleting it? I want to find
out as much as possible before i blow up the server.

Thanks,
ben.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Email enable doc lib
    ... navigate to the public folder and send some posts with attachments to the ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... I have disabled forms base Athentication from the default V.Smtp server ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Outlook not sending mail to 1 contact.
    ... outbound boundary SMTP mail server. ... rerouted internally right back into your account. ... The Outbox folder will only be non-empty DURING an e-mail session. ... e-mail client will move the draft of your e-mail into the Outbox folder ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.general)
  • Re: Network shares cannot connect
    ... User Name: SERVER$ ... Regarding the shares accessing problem, I suggest you try following steps ... let's focus on the Users Shared Folder first. ... To check this permission, please click the Advanced button, select ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Newbie with a smallbiz2000 installation, check my config?
    ... > Windows creates a profile path under Documents & Settings. ... > a folder with that name already exists (maybe a local user with the ... > server, open the properties for this folder, and ensure that you have ... > you redirect key folders from a user's profile to a location on your ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000)
  • Re: Cannot reply/forward in OWA - Page cannot be displayed
    ... I understand all the pictures in the OWA ... Check if OfficeScan is installed on the SBS server. ... Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. ... Locate the Urlcache folder. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)