Re: can anyone help?

From: Steve (me@here.ca)
Date: 06/07/02

From: Steve <me@here.ca>
Date: 7 Jun 2002 15:37:13 GMT

"Col" <col@pure-productions.com> wrote in
news:adl6t8$4uo$1@dennis.cc.strath.ac.uk:

> Hi,
> I have a laptop- no longer networked- however it once was.
>
> It runs NT4.0 spk 5.0
>
> I log in using usersid is "mackie"
> the password is football.
> the domain is Moffice
>
> It isnt administrator.
>
> The admin password I do not know.
>
> So when I used L0phtcrack to find it out- L0phtcrack finds the admin
> password but doesnt show the User "mackie" at all. Like it does not
> exist. So how come I can log in with that account?
>
> The domain of the laptop is not Moffice, but Vfenny.... I dont know how
> the "mackie" password is valid!
>
> Can someone please explain this to me?
>
> Cheers

Hello C,

NT can be set to use "cached credentials" so that when a computer
cannot find a domain controller, it is still possible for the user
to get into a machine they normally have right to.

This is commonly setup this way on notebooks as they can quite easily
not be connected to the main network.

A full description of this can be found at Microsoft top 10 questions:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/TechNet/columns
/questions/03-15-00.asp

Cheers,

Steve

Relevant Pages

  • Re: can anyone help?
    ... > The admin password I do not know. ... > So when I used L0phtcrack to find it out- L0phtcrack finds the admin ... > password but doesnt show the User "mackie" at all. ... > The domain of the laptop is not Moffice, ...
    (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)