Re: which firewall

From: Ola (lawal@lineone.net)
Date: 05/26/02

From: "Ola" <lawal@lineone.net>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 06:19:32 GMT

selecting a firewall is a very important decision, especially if the
corporate assets you would like the firewall to protect is very crucial to
business continuity. There are many free and commercial firewall solutions:
OpenBSD, Linux, etc, and there commercial solutions: Check Point, Netscreen,
StoneGate, etc. These soe issues you may want to consider:

1. support and software upadtes - this is important if something goes wrong.
who do you call for help?
2. day to day administration. Most UNIX free firewalls solutions, require
good unix skills. this may be a problem in a windows based enviroemt with
Microsoft certified administrators.
3. costs. Free solutions are free....you may have to pay a lot for
commercial software licenses, and even pay more for support.

The list is endless.

My advise will be to determine what you need from a firewall; vpn
capabilities, logging and reporting, etc. Once you know what your
requirements are, you can more closely match that with a solution, and you
will be much more aware what your trade offs are.
There is also a difference between an Enterprise firewall, and a personal
firewall. Using an enterprise firewall, and a personal firewall on the host
gives you 2 layers of security, and more protection, assuming the solutions
are properly configured.

I hope I have not confused you the more.

regards
Ola

--
Kind regards
Ola

"Ernie" <ernie@erniebornheimer.com> wrote in message news:acmhvf0f3p@enews1.newsguy.com... > Hello > > My company's web server is a Win 2K box, IIS, a few hundred to a few > thousand hits a day. We're looking for a firewall product. Ease of > administration is very important and low cost is somewhat important. > Suggestions? > > My boss has a copy of Norton Personal Firewall 2001 which he wants me to > install. Opinions? > > Thank you, > > Ernie > >

Relevant Pages

  • Re: protecting computer
    ... > are 3 steps to protect our computer. ... Microsoft gives you the base guidelines. ... disable your Windows Messenger service. ... by the normal home user and in cooperation with a good firewall, ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Firewalls
    ... To enable or disable Internet Connection Firewall ... Open Network Connections ... protect, and then, under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this ...
  • Re: Adware Problem
    ... > know what to install to protect my computer. ... > Norton Antivirus, Black Ice, and Spyware Nuker. ... Windows Update ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
  • Re: Symantec said dump FTP SERVER
    ... > Well I am researching proactive practices to protect Security of our ... What version of Windows XP do you have? ... If you are concerned about security, ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
  • Re: virus in windows system
    ... >> their in my windows operating system help if u can. ... > better protect your Windows system: ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ... That's one facet of a secure PC, ...