Re: Is there a way to copy shares to new system?

From: Joe Cacciatore (jocatch@attglobal.net)
Date: 04/23/02

From: jocatch@attglobal.net (Joe Cacciatore)
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 11:49:48 GMT

Thank you Eric. In the next day or two I will be trying this
procedure. It should save me alot of time.

Joe C.

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 14:39:49 GMT, Eric Torbenson <ert1@optonline.net>
wrote:

>In comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.misc Joe Cacciatore <jocatch@attglobal.net> wrote:
>> Is there anyway I can "clone" the shares from the old system to the
>> new one? Is there some kind of program I can run that will record the
>> shares and then recreated them on the new system? Something similar to
>> the Resource Kit program for transfering userids?
>
>Yes there is. I did this on a server for a former employer. Almost 20 GB of
>data...took nearly 6 hours to copy it!
>
>1. Use the Resource Kit's SCOPY tool to copy the files to the new server
>while preserving their permissions. Documentation on the command-line options
>are available in the Kit. I recommend backing up, and preparing a very large
>pot of coffee, as the file copy takes a long time. :)
>
>2. In the Registry, do the following:
> - Export the key
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\Shares
> to a .REG file. This lists out the path mappings for all your shares.
> - Check the file for sanity. Delete the entries that you don't want to
> import.
> - Go to your target server and Merge the file with your current registry.
> - Stop and start the Server service.
>
>3. Surprise surprise, all your shares should show up!
>
>Good luck!
>
>-Eric

Relevant Pages

  • RE: FSMT Not Listing All Shares
    ... Windows stores all share information in the registry. ... This registry key lists all shares. ... To move a share from one server to ... Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. ...
  • RE: FSMT Not Listing All Shares
    ... Windows stores all share information in the registry. ... This registry key lists all shares. ... To move a share from one server to ... Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. ...
  • RE: cannot enumerate shares on server in file server migration wizard
    ... Based on my research,enumerating the shares is done by connecting to the ... What I would suggest is to check if remote registry service is running on ... cannot enumerate shares on server in file server migration wizard ... to add the 2000 server in the first step, I get the error, system error ...
  • Re: Is there a way to copy shares to new system?
    ... new system have their shares back. ... I did this on a server for a former employer. ... > - Go to your target server and Merge the file with your current registry. ... Surprise surprise, all your shares should show up! ...
    (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)
  • Re: Regarding Autoshare removal....
    ... NT4.0 server and it works great, ie editing the registry. ... admin shares cannot be removed using Explorer ... >> Iv experienced problems in Win2k Server/Professionel ...
    (microsoft.public.security)