Netware to Win2000 migration - folder permission question

From: Steven Delvizis (sdelvizis.NoSpam@hotmail.com)
Date: 04/23/02

From: "Steven Delvizis" <sdelvizis.NoSpam@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 04:27:13 GMT

Hi All,

I'm in the process of migrating our existing NetWare 4 server to Windows
2000, and I'm having a few problems creating a directory / security
structure to mimic our old NetWare server. For example, just say I had the
following directory structure. (Ignoring security for now.)

Projects\
    \Proj1
    \Proj2
    \Proj3
    \Proj4

I want users to only _see_ the project directories which they have access
to. If the user 'Steven' only has access to the Proj2 and Proj3 Directories
I want him to only see the following structure in explorer.

Projects\
    \Proj2
    \Proj3

I haven't been able to figure out how to do this as yet. I've given him
(Well a group he belongs to anyway) read / write access to the two
directories, but without permissions set on the parent directory it is
impossible to get to them. I tried to set 'Read' access on the parent
(Projects) directory, but this allows the user to see all directories
contained in the parent directory. Security does stop the user from entering
the restricted directories, but I don't want them listed. I then looked at
the advanced options and thought that by only setting the 'traverse folder /
execute' permission it would do what I wanted. Unfortunately it didn't seem
to. Does anybody know if what I'm trying to do is possible?

Thanks in advance.

Steven Delvizis

Relevant Pages

  • security-basics Digest of: get.123_145
    ... VPN to ASP a security risk? ... Re: Multiple IPSec tunnels? ... Subject: Security NT Server ... VPN to ASP a security risk? ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • << SBS News of the week - Sept 26 >>
    ... And he points to the info you need to put the file on the server in the ... at the network perimeter. ... The Symantec Firewall/VPN and the Gateway Security ... by the firewall at risk. ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000)
  • Re: << SBS News of the week - Sept 26 >>
    ... > And he points to the info you need to put the file on the server in the ... > at the network perimeter. ... The Symantec Firewall/VPN and the Gateway Security ... An attacker can exploit these flaws in tandem via specially ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000)
  • << SBS News of the week - Sept 26 >>
    ... And he points to the info you need to put the file on the server in the ... at the network perimeter. ... The Symantec Firewall/VPN and the Gateway Security ... by the firewall at risk. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)