Re: Doing small jobs as Administrator

From: Daniel Lohmann (daniel@uni-koblenz.de)
Date: 04/20/02

From: Daniel Lohmann <daniel@uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 23:34:04 +0200

On 20 Apr 2002 07:19:24 -0700, usenet@compoundeye.co.uk (Mark) wrote:

>When I am logged on to my Win2k box as a user I operate under a very
>restrictive set of access permissions. Occaisionally this causes
>problems and I will need to change the security on a file, directory
>or registry entry as I am working. Is there a way for me to perform
>actions such as changing directory permissions without logging out,
>logging in as Admin and then logging out and logging in as a user?

You can do some small jobs by running the appropriate app as another
user via "RunAs". Just right-click the .EXE file or Shift+right-click
the Control panel applet and choose "Run as...".

However, it is not possible to run explorer.exe as another user this
way :-(
Therefore also a lot of administrative tasks (like file operations,
configuring network connections and so on) are not available as Admin
while being logged in as an ordinary user.

To come around this you may also want to take a look at the NetExec
toolsuite (http://www.netexec.de/) Among other useful sfuff NetExec
contains a so called "Desktop Manager" which let's you create
additional login sessions, each running on it's own desktop. Using
this it is possible to create an arbitrary number of concurrently
running login sessions besides your standard login (e.g. a second one
as Admin for administrative tasks and a third one as "InternetUser"
with very low privileges) and switch between them using a tray icon or
a keyboard shortcut.

Daniel

Relevant Pages

  • Re: RDP Sessions not "disconnecting"
    ... You can logon to the Console as Admin and Disconnect instead of logging off and this will leave Admin logged on to Synch Act and will leave 2 more Remote slots open. ... The other choice is to disconnect from a normal session as Admin instead of Logging off and when you connect again you will resume your session. ... server based apps - she also hits it from remote. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: RDP Sessions not "disconnecting"
    ... You can logon to the Console as Admin and Disconnect instead of logging off and this will leave Admin logged on to Synch Act and will leave 2 more Remote slots open. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Administrator Loses Privileges
    ... Are you aware of any admin "inactivity" safeguards built into Windows ... You might want to increase the size of the event logs. ... Logging out and logging back in restores them. ... Windows Server 2000/2003 to automatically lock the admin after a certain ...
  • Is this a GPO setting or not?
    ... basically tells them to contact the Network Admin because ... MMC snap-in that I can use to duplicate this setting? ... from logging into certain machines. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy)
  • Re: Copying folders
    ... Are you logging in as the workgroup user or domain user? ... everyone has a local profile on the copmuter with their desktop and ... admin and have no problem getting to other profiles on this computer. ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)