Re: clustering

From: Linonut (linonut@bone.com)
Date: 03/31/02

From: Linonut <linonut@bone.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 16:38:33 GMT

After takin' a swig o' grog, Christopher L. Estep belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> "someone" <ss@ss.com> wrote in message news:a85gv1$c7j$1@usenet.otenet.gr...
>> Hello people, i got 2 servers running windows nt 4 server enterprise
>> edition.
>>
>> Iam new in clustering and i dont know yet how it works, when i try to set up
>> the cluster it asks me to add SHARED disks and i didnt quite understand what
>> it means by that, are these "shared" disks the 2 server's hard drives or
>> they are external SCSI hard drive boxes ONLY ?
>>
>> One of my servers has 3 scsi hard drives cant i create a cluster by sharing
>> these drives or do i have to buy external drive units to create a cluster?
>
> The strict definition for clustering is two (or more) physical servers
> treated as a single logical server.
>
> This has long been possible in UNIX; Windows 2000 Server was the first
> NT-based operating system for server to support clustering.

Just answer the man's question, bwah!

Chris

--
I'm EMOTIONAL now because I have MERCHANDISING CLOUT!!

Relevant Pages

  • HA & Failover options
    ... instances for all the technology components (App Server, DB Server, ... Application Server 10g Release 3 and Oracle Database Release 2. ... Clustering features. ... how instantaneous is failover to the secondary site with data ...
    (comp.databases.oracle.server)
  • Re: 4 Queries about DB clustering
    ... Server clustering is available on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition. ... "Single Data Store" is not a service, ... I support the Professional Association for SQL Server ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.clustering)
  • Re: Replication with failover clustering??
    ... We are having Merge Replication setup with push subscription. ... Microsoft SQL Server clustering is not a good fit for geospatial clustering ... Both clustering and database mirroring do do automatic failover, ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.replication)
  • Re: Choosing correct high availability setup
    ... won't be supported/allowed with Windows Server 2008 Failover Clustering. ... No matter how you do your SQL, IIS will need to know the instance name to ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.clustering)
  • Re: Exchange 2003 SP1, Windows 2003 SP2
    ... and then performed an Upgraded Virtual Server procedure. ... really old and only applies if you already have Exchange Server 2003 SP1, ... MVP - Windows Server - Clustering ... before upgrading to SP2 on a clustered exchange back-end. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.clustering)