can someone get admin password with physical access?

From: t2k2p (t2k2p@socal.rr.com)
Date: 02/26/02

From: "t2k2p" <t2k2p@socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 05:39:41 GMT

Hi, I help out the admin at my school with security, and we have very poor
physical security of computers. Is there a way that any person with
physical access hack the admin or other users password? I heard that you
can use a linux boot disk to access a file and use l0ptcrack to crack it,
but I heard that it only works for FAT32 partitions. Is this true? And if
there is a way to hack the passwords if someone has physical access, how can
they do it? and is there a way to stop it? (besides physical security)
thanks a lot.

calvin-

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Web site busted?
    ... Very few of them kept the admin password, ... compromised passwords are only one way ... since physical security is almost impossible to ... gain access to a computer. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: WARGAMES style security
    ... Yep, I've seen where one guy has 8 characters of a password, they enter ... then tell the other admin to enter the final 8. ... loss of physical security in the first place? ... > Thats funny but the point is to add that level of security at a password ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: can someone get admin password with physical access?
    ... >Hi, I help out the admin at my school with security, and we have very poor ... >physical security of computers. ... The way round this is to set the boot order on each PC's BIOS so it will only ... The only way around the BIOS password is to open the case and start swapping ...
    (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)
  • Re: can someone get admin password with physical access?
    ... I remember this saying about computers, "If you don't have physical security, ... If someone is allowed to have physical access to a computer, ... > physical access hack the admin or other users password? ...
    (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)
  • Re: How to avoid hacking of local XP password ?
    ... If someone has physical access, ... Monitor them more closely. ... There is no security without physical security. ... > administrator password. ...