Re: Kiss and say goodbye to Microsoft!!

From: Maxim S. Shatskih (maxim@storagecraft.com)
Date: 02/21/02

From: "Maxim S. Shatskih" <maxim@storagecraft.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 07:14:33 +0300

> on the whole. And, BTW, looking over the Linux kernel a couple of times
> before, it seems that is the result. If you call Linux code on the whole
> 'good code' I fail to see how you and I can argue anything reasonably.

Note the select()/poll() implementation. People seem to have no notion of encapsulation.
After this, they proudly declare - "if you understand THIS, then you understand how scheduler works!".
Why select() implementor must be aware of scheduler details - is some Linux mystery I cannot understand.

On of the comments in Linux kernel was - "f*ck me gently with a chainsaw!". The surrounding code (the Sparc MMU handling IIRC)
really causes such emotions :-)

I never saw any code from MS which is this quality.

    Max

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Wasting our Freedom
    ... I recognize that writeup about the Atheros / Linux / SFLC story is a ... Theo is going to make sure people understand what ... people that have been working on it for the Linux kernel has added their own ... It is now obvious that you have no interest in facts, ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • [reiserfs] exception/panic while trying to write data
    ... While trying to upgrade from Linux 2.6.7 to Linux 2.6.11.12, ... Aug 8 16:37:46 linux kernel: ReiserFS: hdh1: checking transaction log ... invalid format found in block 12812288. ... Fsck? ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: patches question
    ... Speaking of which, here's the FAQ update patch I sent Richard last month, just ... +The Linux Kernel ... It explains how to compile, install, and run a Linux kernel. ... -Linux Documentation Project ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • [Full-disclosure] x90cs site Announcement
    ... My main subjects are vulnerability research, linux ... for linux kernel security as like the LKM, ... kernel exploit, ..., linux kernel rootkit research. ... exploit stuff that yapbb private exploit on the #phrack ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Linux kernel i386 SMP page fault handler privilege escalation
    ... Linux kernel i386 SMP page fault handler privilege escalation ... On Linux virtual memory is provided on demand if an application accesses ...
    (Bugtraq)