Re: Kiss and say goodbye to Microsoft!!

From: Mark H. Wood (mwood@mhw.ULib.IUPUI.Edu)
Date: 02/18/02

From: "Mark H. Wood" <mwood@mhw.ULib.IUPUI.Edu>
Date: 18 Feb 2002 14:57:31 GMT

In Carl Woodward <> wrote:
> <snip>
>> It is ironic that Linux forces a business model
>> that
>> says if you do your job well you will not get paid, only those who produce
>> hard
>> to use and buggy software win from support.
> Easy to do, just ensure absolutely every application can only be driven by a
> torturous command line... I personally have no interest in typing a 300
> character command line just to get the time.

mhw:~$ date
Mon Feb 18 09:58:49 EST 2002
mhw:~$ date +%H:%M:%S
mhw:~$ echo "At the tone, the time will be $(date +%H:%M)."
At the tone, the time will be 09:58.

As for "*only* be driven by a tortuous command line": any commandline
app. can be wrapped in e.g. a Tcl (or VB, or JS, or what-have-you)
script to GUIfy it, but the reverse is not true.

Our lives are forever changed.  But *that* is exactly as it always was.