Re: Kiss and say goodbye to Microsoft!!

From: Yves (remyjv@net2000.com.au)
Date: 02/17/02

From: "Yves" <remyjv@net2000.com.au>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 10:51:08 +1100

Well said Carl, I must agree.
There is a place for each OS and everyone's best bet is to dabble in both of
them.

"Carl Woodward" <NOSPAM@DONTBOTHER.com> wrote in message
> <snip>
> > It is ironic that Linux forces a business model
> > that
> > says if you do your job well you will not get paid, only those who
produce
> > hard
> > to use and buggy software win from support.
>
> Easy to do, just ensure absolutely every application can only be driven by
> torturous command line... I personally have no interest in typing a 300
> character command line just to get the time.
>
> Linux has its place, just as Windows does. They work well in different
> fields. Linux has though, entirely failed so far to break up the desktop
> market. Usability, is not something that Linux has achieved consistently.
> And before anyone tells the story about how Microsoft stole the GUI from
> Apple (who *acquired* it from Xerox)...we know.
>
> If I want a certain type of server or router, then I will use Linux. If I
> want to type a document or play games, I will use Windows. If I wanted to
> setup a computer for aboslutely anyone to use, I would most certainly not
> use Linux. I do not fancy helping my parents recompile their kernel over
the
> phone because the keyboard is no longer adjacent to the monitor...
>
> What drives me up the wall is evangelical users, why do they care so much.
> They like their choice, nice one, enjoy. If linux wins the desktop war,
> fine. If Microsoft wins the server war fine. If anyone breaks the law
fine.
> There is no need for all this "handbags at dawn stuff..."
>
> Just in case anyone is any doubt, I use Microsoft products more than Linux
> but I am pro neither. Like I said, chose the right tool for the right job.
>
> And that's all I have to say about that..
>
> Carl

Relevant Pages

  • RE: [SLE] Need Windows EXT2 Reader Advice
    ... On Monday, November 22, 2004 5:55 AM, Carl Hartung wrote: ... >fat32 copy. ... Are Linux and NTFS file security/permissions strategies ... >> The simple answer would be to make the new partition FAT32 instead of ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: krdc and ctrl+alt+del
    ... Carl Sanderson wrote: ... > I am a bit of a gui glutt so tend to miss some of the finer points in ... > I am trying to use krdc to remote control my win2k pc. ... > combination as an example yet all I get is my linux log out ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Kiss and say goodbye to Microsoft!!
    ... Linux has its place, just as Windows does. ... If linux wins the desktop war, ... If Microsoft wins the server war fine. ...
    (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)
  • Re: mozilla problem, "running helper" but no response
    ... > " at the bottom of the window. ... Hi Carl, I am new to linux and have Mozilla 1.2.1 but I am also having ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: SRC.RPM Problem
    ... Carl wrote: ... Did you visit the fedorafaq website or ... Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang), Linux 2.6.12-rc4-mm2 ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)