windows NT4 WS and 2000 Pro user profile question

From: Paul Huddleston (phuddleston@library.msstate.edu)
Date: 02/14/02

From: "Paul Huddleston" <phuddleston@library.msstate.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:06:18 -0600

We have a new server that has recently been deployed in our building. In
the process of changing the domain in which these computers are joined, and
that the user authentication occurs in, the computer creates a new profile
for the user. In the case of winNT it would create folders for name and
name.000 and in win2k it will create name and name.newdomain. I would like
to be able to keep my users' application and system settings and reuse these
profiles. In the process of doing this, I can first login as the user on
the new domain. This will create the name.000/name.newdomain folder and
start a new profile. Then I can login as administrator of the local machine
and go to the user profiles screen and select the old profile and then click
the copy to button and browse to the new profile location. Then i log out
and login as the user in the new domain. It cannot see the profile and acts
as if it is loggin in for the first time. If I make this users domain user
account an administrator on the local machine and then log them on,
everything works correctly and all settings are kept.

My question is: Is there a tried and true procedure for keeping a users
settings from one machine to another using winnt4 and win2k pro by moving a
profile? Is there a way to do this on a new account on the same machine?
Please help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul Huddleston
Network Manager
Mississippi State University Libraries
phuddleston@library.msstate.no.spam.edu
(remove no.spam from address to send)

Relevant Pages

  • How to copy profile after joining domain
    ... I have to join a lot of computers with existing users into a domain. ... After that the users will be login in with an account on the domain, ... which means a new 'clean' profile. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Domain name showing up in directory.
    ... Although I thought my computers are running without an official domain. ... When I logg in as Joe I get the Joe.Sammy profile. ... mydocuments directory for the login. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Export/import of computer accounts
    ... same *mandatory* profile and the profile is cleaned on the local machine on each logoff. ... So, with a script, I can recreate user accounts and rights within 10 minutes. ...
  • Re: MAPIInitialize failed with 0x80070005
    ... What is your version of Outlook is on that machine? ... MAPIInitialize does not need a profile, ... When the child process calls MAPIInitialize(), ... that user has never logged on the local machine. ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.messaging)
  • Re: prevent users from saving to local profile
    ... > their own profile under the local machine ... Computer Config- Windows Settings - Security Settings - Local Policies ... Batch file I use as a startup script on my Computers ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy)