Re: Automating C2 Security Measures

From: Gripper Stebson (gripper@grangehill.net)
Date: 02/03/02

From: "Gripper Stebson" <gripper@grangehill.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 20:46:24 -0000

Ken,

Yeah I'm aware of the SCE, but my boss is adamant that we're not installing
the MMC on our NT4 system. I know that when you install it the default ACL
editor changes to the Win2K version. When we migrate to 2K next year he'll
be forced into that situation anyway but until then - no chance.

The pitiful life of an NT Sys Admin eh?!! Ah well, maybe he'll leave soon
and I'll take the initiative before his successor gets established in post -
LOL.

Thanks anyway mate - I'll probably look into some VB-type program in the
meantime, or swot up on regini.

Iain, UK

***************************

"Ken Hagan" <K.Hagan@thermoteknix.co.uk> wrote in message
> Have you looked at the Security Configuration Editor, which came
> with the NT4 Option Pack? (It's on MSDN, but I expect it is also
> a free download from some dark corner of the MS site.)
>
> This lets you define collections of ACL settings for arbitrary
> parts of the registry and file system, and also values for various
> privileges, and then do two things with them.
>
> 1 Examine a target system to see if it "violates" the profile.
> 2 Modify a target system so that it doesn't violate the profile.
>
> It's so good they built it into Win2K.
>
> "Gripper Stebson" <gripper@grangehill.net> wrote...
> >
> > Furthermore it's really time consuming to set permissions on
> > each key i.e. Admins - Full Control, Everyone - Read.
> >
> > I know there an ability to do these things in Rexx and Regini, ...

Relevant Pages

  • Office 2003 install with Transform and Profile fails
    ... I am having a problem installing Office 2003 using a transformthat has ... transform that has the profile in it, an upgrade from Office XP fails. ... Action 16:28:17: MoveFiles. ... MoveFiles: Copying file: PowerP11.pip ...
    (microsoft.public.office.setup)
  • Re: Creating User profiles & Program permissions
    ... start up on the main profile, ... I have even toyed with the idea of installing win98 SE so that I ... The best one is to create a batch script to kill the services (net ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: New software only runs on my profile
    ... After installing it only works on my ... Start Menu folder and Desktop folder shortcuts from the user profile ... limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Installing programs corrupts user account-No help from MS
    ... Unfortunately, it is not a good solution because creating a new profile means reinstalling programs, and if that is the case, I may as well reinstall the OS from scratch - not my first choice. ... Next best would be for the software maker to test these conditions when installing software. ... >> I have a Dell computer with Windows XP Pro. ...
  • Re: Thunderbird & old email
    ... shock-absorber mounting system for the drives though. ... find it very easy to keep a small 2GB partition for just my Internet stuff ... Firefox profile and Thunderbird profile). ... checked my email once before getting around to installing the old ...
    (rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons)