Re: Locking down SMTP server

From: chris@nospam.com
Date: 02/01/02

From: chris@nospam.com
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 21:35:17 -0800

>What I need to know is, what services do I need running on the NT box
>to allow it to run purely as an SMTP server? (other than the SMTP
>server itself, obviously!)

Virtually none. Disable server, workstation, etc. Start with as much
disabled as possible and turn stuff back on as needed.

>Also, I've looked at locking down the ports in NT's
>TCP/IP-Advanced-Enable Security settings page. What TCP/UDP/Protocols
>do I need enabled for...
>a) the publically-facing adapter, which will send and receive SMTP
>mail and issue DNS queries for sending out mail, and...
>b) the private adapter, which will just send and receive SMTP mail to
>and from the internal mail server?
>
>Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How to remove/disable Access Minimize button
    ... I am sure that there is a option on the Terminal Server that prevent the ... are a number of options such as Profile, Startup Application, Disable Server ... My Access app is running on a Remote Desktop. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.formscoding)
  • Re: OUtlook 2003 and Shared Calendars
    ... You will need to share your personal Calendar by adding the appropriate ... your SMTP Mail on your Exchange 2003 SBS server, ... You gain so much more when hosting your own mail server. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: error codes
    ... It's likely AOL is blocking port 25. ... Some ISPs block access to other SMTP mail servers while connected via ... (They block TCP/IP port 25 except to their own SMTP mail server.) ...
  • Re: error codes
    ... so I have changed the server timeout to 5 mins and still I have ... Some ISPs block access to other SMTP mail servers while connected via ... In some cases you can use Port 587 or 465 rather ... In OE this is specified in Tools, Accounts, Mail, Properties, ...
  • Re: outlook express 6
    ... To PA Bear: ... The server name would not be simply POP3. ... Your previous error message was for sending and said that you couldn't ... Once possible cause is trying to use the wrong SMTP mail ...