Re: How safe is WinRoute?

From: Jovica Popovic (jpop@MAKNI.32bita.hr)
Date: 01/23/02

From: Jovica Popovic <jpop@MAKNI.32bita.hr>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 11:27:32 +0100

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002 03:33:08 GMT, eric[no_spam]@pmcipa.com wrote:

>done. You want a cheap 133Mhz machine with 64MB RAM running WinRoute
>between you and the Internet. Believe it or not, such a machine is
>perfectly adequate for that application and is available on eBay for
>about $50.00.

Well, according to my experience, not. I'm currently testing a
WinRoute setup. The machine is Celeron266 (first version, no cache)
with 128MB, running W2k(sp2). I know that this CPU is rather poorly
engineered, but the CPU usage jumps to 100% whenever there is high
volume network traffic over that machine. In fact, WinRoute slows the
throughput down because it needs more CPU power. Should this be?

It doesn't happen because of internet traffic (the bandwidth of ISDN
line is too low to saturate the CPU), but when I for example copy a
bunch of files to and from the WinRoute machine, the machine slows to
a crawl. I guess WinRoute has to examine each packet that comes over
the LAN to see if has to be routed to internet, but still... Can this
be helped?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ISDN-Verbindung für Mitarbeiter
    ... Im Prinzip ist nur Internet nötig. ... z.Zt Winroute als DSL-Anbindung und Firewall. ... Dazu ist ein ELSA ISDN-Modem vorhanden mit COM-Schnittstelle. ... der vor dem Server die komplette Authentifizierung und den Rückruf ...
    (microsoft.public.de.german.windows.server.general)
  • Re: Winroute Pro Internet Sharing without proxy
    ... I'm trying to setup winroute pro 4.1 for internet sharing betweem ... I have NAT enable on the inteface connected to internet. ... > However I don't have internet on the client machine. ... If you have a DSL connection, make sure NAT is applied to the Dial Up ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: NAT doenst work, but routing works between two segments and internet
    ... >Computer C (win98) - Connected to Internet ... This is much the same as what WinRoute is doing as well. ... >computer A as proxy, Internet is working, but i want NAT to work. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: configuring mail and NAT with winroute pro
    ... Everybody can access internet through the ... winroute proxy, mail is polled at certain intervals to the winroute ... >>want external users to relay through the Winroute mail server. ... If they do know their account details, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: NAT from Inside the LAN - Winroute FW 5.0
    ... I'm not all too familiar with Winroute, ... You would also assign your ISP's router as the gateway address of Winroute ... to the Ethernet adapter before you started creating mappings. ... Generally one public address is used for sharing the internet ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)