Re: How safe is WinRoute?

From: Jovica Popovic (jpop@MAKNI.32bita.hr)
Date: 01/23/02

From: Jovica Popovic <jpop@MAKNI.32bita.hr>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 11:27:32 +0100

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002 03:33:08 GMT, eric[no_spam]@pmcipa.com wrote:

>done. You want a cheap 133Mhz machine with 64MB RAM running WinRoute
>between you and the Internet. Believe it or not, such a machine is
>perfectly adequate for that application and is available on eBay for
>about $50.00.

Well, according to my experience, not. I'm currently testing a
WinRoute setup. The machine is Celeron266 (first version, no cache)
with 128MB, running W2k(sp2). I know that this CPU is rather poorly
engineered, but the CPU usage jumps to 100% whenever there is high
volume network traffic over that machine. In fact, WinRoute slows the
throughput down because it needs more CPU power. Should this be?

It doesn't happen because of internet traffic (the bandwidth of ISDN
line is too low to saturate the CPU), but when I for example copy a
bunch of files to and from the WinRoute machine, the machine slows to
a crawl. I guess WinRoute has to examine each packet that comes over
the LAN to see if has to be routed to internet, but still... Can this
be helped?