Re: Lost windows 2000 advanced server administrator password

From: JAC (jacarney@mediaone.net.nospam.for.me)
Date: 01/09/02

From: "JAC" <jacarney@mediaone.net.nospam.for.me>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 23:32:19 GMT

As Chris mentioned, L0phtcrack will not work on a SAM file from a Win2k
system because it cannot correctly read the password hashes since Syskey is
enabled. Another option would be to use NTFSPro to boot up the system, then
copy your SAM file that was created during system installation (which would
have your original password) from your SystemRoot\REPAIR directory to
SystemRoot\System32\Config.

"DM▓║║╣" <da@swanhunter.nospam.com> wrote in message
> Download ntfsdos
> (http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfsdospro.shtml)
> Boot from a floppy with nftsdos on it. Download L0phtcrack or some other
> password cracker. grab the sam file from the system
> (c:\winnt\system32\config\SAM) in dos and run it thru L0phtcrack.
>
> "Bigmellow" <wood@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Hiya guys,
> >
> > big problems. A guy I work with changed the administrator password and
> > has forgotten it. Now I can't get in to my box which was the only
> > account on there.
> >
> > I have tried the Linux NTpassword hack at:
> > http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
> >

> > but it goes to boot up and give me an "insert root disk" prompt after
> > going through the vmlinuz, initrd, and other hardware check stuff. So
> > I just hit the return key when it says "insert root disk" and then it
> > gives me a "init not found", "try passing init= " at boot.
> >
> > Now I can see in his utility where he already pass the /dev/fdo
> > argument and the initrd argumnets in his cfg file. Why the heck won't
> > it work??
> >
> > Man.... I should have never let the dude touch my box. I'm pissed.
> >
> > Welp... any help would be greatly appreciated. I had the box setup so
> > sweet.... gessshhhhh
> >
> > later,
> > bigmellow

Relevant Pages

  • RE: question regarding SAM file / l0phtcrack / pwdump2
    ... If you are using pw files obtained using pwdump3, you don't use the SAM file ... question regarding SAM file / l0phtcrack / pwdump2 ... Admin Groups:) This machine was open to the net, ... So then I proceeded to retrieve the SAM file using PWDUMP3 as I ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: Win Passwords and John
    ... ::: I have a copy of my WinXP SAM file and I would like to feed it to ... ::: John the Ripper to see if John can crack my passwords. ... I don't want to use L0phtCrack. ...
    (Security-Basics)