Re: Accepted password in auth.log

Hello,

Tobin Lichtenfeld a écrit :

I found two log entries in the auth.log file of my Debian linux (current version):

May 28 14:22:21 its_station sshd[7963]: Accepted password for tobin from 192.168.1.1 port 58254 ssh2
May 28 16:15:18 its_station sshd[10326]: Accepted password for tobin from 192.168.1.1 port 58564 ssh2

I am running this on my home network (192.168.1.1/24) behind a DSL
router. The router has the IP address 192.168.1.1, however when I
connect to the server, the auth.log usually shows my IP address, e.g. my
computer or an official address when I connect from somewhere else..

Does anyone know, what it means, that the log file now shows the IP
address of the router? It is definetely not the router that is
connecting to the server here..

It may be a connection to the router's public address from a host inside the LAN. If the router properly redirects such a connection to the server, it must masquerade the client source address to maintain symmetric routing required by stateful NAT operation.

  • Re: Using Remote Desktop From an SBS Domain
    ... when you tried to RDP while attached directly to a port on your router? ... Internet to initiate an IP conversation with your computer. ... This situation is different than if you ran your own NAT connection sharing ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Setting up Home Network w/ 2 Routers
    ... successfully got my 2Wire, Netgear, and Linksys playing nicely. ... Connected the LAN port #1 of 2Wire to the WAN port of the Netgear. ... connection type and all for me. ... If you add another router to the mix, just make sure to disable the ...
  • Re: Can not access Web and FTP sites from Internet
    ... your IP Configuration on the Server is correctly. ... Connecting To 12.208.215.87...Could not open connection to the host, ... 1> From the result, we can see the telnet failed, which means the router ... does not forward Port 443 to SBS Server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Using Remote Desktop From an SBS Domain
    ... when you tried to RDP while attached directly to a port on your router? ... So if 3389 needs forwarded on the client end too then that is what the ... Hopefully next week I can attempt a connection while my ISP watches the ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Cost of setting up a network
    ... A router capable of acting as a VPN endpoint for more than one user simultaneously with four Ethernet ports or a switch to suit. ... The rationale for using a server here is basically that the router doesn't need to be able to decide which PC to route the connection to. ... If you are using a router which supports it, you can set up a port-forwarding inbound rule which also _translates_ the port supplied to the receiving port. ... You can use several of these connections to different machines simultaneously. ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)