Re: world writeable files?

On 2009-12-31, unruh <unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2009-12-31, Mikhail Zotov <invalid_muxaul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 23:18:03 GMT
unruh <unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tex font
generation wants all users to be able to generate the fonts, etc.

AFAICT, both tetex and texlive are by default configured in such
a way that fonts are created in each user's home directory.

TeTeX is TeX Live now.

That depends on your distro.

What distro? (just to make sure I've got it right)

It is also very silly and wasteful, since
all of your users are liable to want the same fonts, and having 130
different copies of the same ( largish) files is just dumb.

And trust in 129 users with doubtful competence is neither silly nor
wasteful? Result of my work depends on that cache. And about largish:

{126809:256} [0:1]% du ~/.texmf-var
840 /home/whynot/.texmf-var/fonts/pk/ljfour/lh/lh-t2a
844 /home/whynot/.texmf-var/fonts/pk/ljfour/lh
60 /home/whynot/.texmf-var/fonts/pk/ljfour/jknappen/ec
64 /home/whynot/.texmf-var/fonts/pk/ljfour/jknappen
912 /home/whynot/.texmf-var/fonts/pk/ljfour
916 /home/whynot/.texmf-var/fonts/pk
112 /home/whynot/.texmf-var/fonts/tfm/lh/lh-t2a
116 /home/whynot/.texmf-var/fonts/tfm/lh
120 /home/whynot/.texmf-var/fonts/tfm
48 /home/whynot/.texmf-var/fonts/source/lh/lh-t2a
52 /home/whynot/.texmf-var/fonts/source/lh
56 /home/whynot/.texmf-var/fonts/source
1096 /home/whynot/.texmf-var/fonts
1100 /home/whynot/.texmf-var

Although -- yes, I've set my crontab apropriately.

  • Re: Hi, a newbie here
    ... I'm still running version 2 of tetex, so I may not be able to help you with tetex 3.0-specific problems. ... I've installed fonts many times, but I have never modified a file called dvips.cnf. ... If you create a file with non-standard fonts on your system, then others would not be able to get a good image from your dvi file. ... Dvi files can be used to create postscript files using the dvips command, and those postscript files should display the same on all systems, as long as all fonts are embedded in the document. ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: world writeable files?
    ... generation wants all users to be able to generate the fonts, ... TeTeX is TeX Live now. ... And trust in 129 users with doubtful competence is neither silly nor ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: world writeable files?
    ... generation wants all users to be able to generate the fonts, ... AFAICT, both tetex and texlive are by default configured in such ... TeTeX is TeX Live now. ... Don't check a distro, check pathto/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Trying to set page borders in LaTeX
    ... fonts manually on the teTeX distribution before MacTeX became ... available and none of these fonts seem to be available natively on ... fonts that it doesn't install by *default*, ... or you wouldn't have been able to continue to use tetex. ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: (serious) problems with texlive
    ... I'm just passed from tetex to texlive on Mandriva 2008.1 and I got a few ... Since I'm a long-run tetex user I have a lot of fonts and styles ... installed in a local dir that I've copied from the tetex installation to ... kpathsea: Running mktextfm cmbtt10 ...
    (comp.text.tex)