Re: Potential security leak in Linux kernel + fix

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 14:46:30 -0500, "David W. Hodgins" <dwhodgins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 06:06:32 -0500, Grant <g_r_a_n_t_@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 08:14:27 +0100, Aragorn <aragorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

With thanks to Bit Twister, who brought this to our attention in
alt.os.linux.mandriva. Details in the article at the URL below.

Was fixed long time ago, old news...

You're thinking of another bug, as I was, when I first read this.
released 2009-11-04, it affects all kernels prior to 2.6.32-rc6.

Maybe so, skimming thru several hundred lkml posts/day (usually
only viewing subject line) means I only have the vaguest idea of
what's going on in there ;)

I do update to -stable version as they come out.

Most distributions are not affected, as they set
/proc/sys/vm/mmap_min_addr to a value other then zero, but
currently up-to-date redhat and suse systems are affected.

Well, my old slackware-11 is not affected.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Difference between Debian and other flavours of Linux
    ... These distributions do, by their very nature, lag ... If I could add my 2 small currency units worth to this, I think Fedora is great, but in my so far very limited experience of submitting reports to bugzilla, fixes are much slower than I was expecting. ... It has been looked at by Jindrich Novy, who has decided to reassign the bug to a kernel issue. ...
  • Re: "pbclean" Error. Anyone else seeing this?
    ... They said there were no free issues with Platform Builder ... distributions. ... Mark ... > Clearly it's a bug so you wouldn't end up paying for the issue. ...
  • Re: BUG: Setting Server Controls InnerHtml forces Constructore to be called.
    ... I'm viewing the issue and found that this is the same one with another ... BUG: Setting Server Control's InnerHtml forces Constructore to be called. ...
  • Windows x Linux
    ... I don't want to make a mistake (like count the same bug in several ... distributions) so, I decided to make the Linux analysis against only on ... linux distribution, RedHat Linux. ... RHSA-2002:035-18 (RedHat Security Advisor) ...
  • The color purple returns to Hooterville
    ... Random insect action supplied by Bug World Inc. ... Please dispose of properly after viewing. ...