Re: Personal firewall like Zone Alarm: is it exists?

Phil Sherman wrote:

ant wrote:
On 25 Nov, 14:49, General Schvantzkoph <schvantzk...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 23:43:41 -0800, ant wrote:
Hello,
I'm looking for a software like Zone Alarm (personal firewall) that
works on Linux. Can you help me?
Which distro are you using? Every distro that I know of has firewall
configuration built in. In Fedora it's under the menu item system/
administration/Firewall and SELinux.

I'm using openSuse 10.3. I know netfilter, but I'm looking for a
personal firewall
that notify me when an application requires access to the Internet.

That's going to be a big problem. In the Win environment, software gets
installed without your knowledge or requires access to the internet when
you aren't expecting it. Firewall software like Zone Alarm intercepts
internet traffic and "holds" it for your approval/rejection. Linux
wisely reserves maintaining the firewall to root; which means that you
should send the messages to root which wouldn't show up unless you are
using your system as root - a dubious practice.

All Linux software I've seen has always included documentation that
states what IP (or UDP) port(s) will be needed to properly use the
software. I believe that most Linux administrators want to keep tight
control over installed software, not make on-the-fly decisions to allow
internet access to random pieces of code.

Phil Sherman

I have seen one available, but I tried it out and it didn't seem to perform
as advertised. Perhaps Phil has the reason why.

I am running Mandriva Linux with its supplied firewall. Basically
the "firewalls" are frontends to iptables. One that I liked was Guarddog,
www.simonzone.com/software/guarddog/ which is for KDE only. It may be on
your installation disks.

Personally, under Windows, I found the continual prompting of ZoneAlarm a
big distraction, although it can be set to do everything automatically
(which you don't want, anyway.)

Doug.

  • Re: Linux or BSD alternative to Windows Home Server
    ... My questions were about Gentoo vs. Linux for a sever, ... I will probably eventually have a dedicated firewall ... if you were to have a file server which is accessible ... I'm aware that I could probably create scripts to regularly backup ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Seriously, now that I got Linux LiveCD running, what can I do with it? Newbie questions
    ... as opposed to in Windows. ... this is not a software firewall as in Windows. ... firewalling code in GNU/Linux is actually part of the Linux kernel ... Kubuntu, Xubuntu et al, the first user account created at installation ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: OT - Desktop Linux
    ... I've got both windows and linux boxes. ... But are there any desktop operating systems out there which enjoy a dis- ... software firewall, have a good and up to date ...
    (alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers)
  • Re: [opensuse] installing openSUSE on an older pc
    ... it seems Linux in general is going the way of M$, when you come to linux forums ... I picked them up as junk-ware from the Salvation Army thrift store for less than a meal for the family at McD's would cost. ... WYSISYG, and a large, capable desktop manager is going to need more memory. ... My firewall, mail-hub, file-server: all headless. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Seriously, now that I got Linux LiveCD running, what can I do with it? Newbie questions
    ... For example, there are some differences in the way distributions handle updates, configuration, root access, etc. - bbgruff is probably used to other distributions and was a little inaccurate about the way sudo is used in Ubuntu and Mint. ... It's probably easier for you to understand if I translate things roughly into windows terms. ... They are not entirely equivalent - MS didn't get things quite right when they copied user access from Linux for use in NT, or when they copied sudo as "user account control" in Vista. ... I don't normally configure a firewall on desktop or laptop Linux machines, and only do so on servers if they are internet-accessible. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)