Re: How gdb's 'attach' command work ?

On 2007-11-20, xi4oyu <Evil.xi4oyu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I wanna know why the gdb's 'attach' command can work?
In the virtual memory enviornment,Does it say that a program can't
direct 'invade' another's processs's space? Please tell me the
reason why gdb can do so...

I think you just misunderstand the statement about virtual memory.
Virtual memory is separate for each process, so the process may think
that it's the only process in memory. But since the virtual memory is
actually stored in RAM (or swap), then of course kernel has access to
that memory and may provide such access to programs that need it. So no
process can directly access the memory of another process, but some
process may request from kernel indirect access to the memory of another
process.

  • Re: Xah Lees Unixism
    ... #> No that's not the reason. ... Mac system 7 had a form of ... virtual memory; there are Linux and BSD versions that are advertised to ... MacOSX still has cruft from 1984 system 1, but now it's the outer layers ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Xah Lees Unixism
    ... #> No that's not the reason. ... Mac system 7 had a form of ... virtual memory; there are Linux and BSD versions that are advertised to ... MacOSX still has cruft from 1984 system 1, but now it's the outer layers ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Xah Lees Unixism
    ... #> No that's not the reason. ... Mac system 7 had a form of ... virtual memory; there are Linux and BSD versions that are advertised to ... MacOSX still has cruft from 1984 system 1, but now it's the outer layers ...
    (comp.unix.programmer)
  • Re: Xah Lees Unixism
    ... #> No that's not the reason. ... Mac system 7 had a form of ... virtual memory; there are Linux and BSD versions that are advertised to ... MacOSX still has cruft from 1984 system 1, but now it's the outer layers ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: GDB internal question
    ... >I want to retarget gdb to debug an embedded Nios II processor. ... how is gdb able to show me that value. ... gdb speaks a "remote debugger" protocol to the remote machine, ... if there is virtual memory, ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)