Re: sticky bits, owner,

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 14:51:56 +0000, Darren Salt wrote:

I demand that Stefan Palme may or may not have written...
[snip]

setfacl.

Setting the default ACLs for that directory and all subdirectories should be
sufficient:
# setfacl -R --set d:g::rwx /var/lib/zope

(If not done as root, you won't be able to set the ACLs for files owned by
others.)

This overrides the umask setting, effectively enforcing 0002 for
newly-created objects ("getfacl /var/lib/zope" to see why); and the ACLs are
propagated to newly-created subdirectories.

Thanks, this is probably exactly what I am searching for.

Currently "getfacl /var/lib/zope" gives me:
user::rwx
group::rwx
other::r-x

But I guess, this happens, because I don't have support for ACLs
in my running kernel (according to the setfacl man page in this case
simply the "normal" permission bits will be used).

Is it a problem to simply recompile the kernel with ACL support enabled?
Or do I have to re-create the filesystem in the next step?

Thanks and regards
-stefan-

  • Re: Setting bulk acls
    ... specified files in the current directory and all subdirectories. ... >> Is there a way to set acls on each file within a directory, ... select all then security properties isnt getting the files ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: sticky bits, owner,
    ... Setting the default ACLs for that directory and all subdirectories should be ... in my running kernel (according to the setfacl man page in this case ... You just need to mount the filesystem with the "acl" mount option: ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • ACL mask problems
    ... I don't understand why this is happening: I have a directory that gets subdirectories created by a web script, but for some reason those directories have different permissions. ... I know there's some link between the mask and group permissions, or something weird like that, but I thought group being rwx and mask rwx would cause the new mask to also be rwx...maybe other is causing the issue? ... I've read various pages on ACLs, including the handbook, and I haven't been able to understand this. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Setting bulk acls
    ... Normally one just selects the uppermost containing folder and ... > Is there a way to set acls on each file within a directory, ... select all then security properties isnt getting the files ... > the subdirectories. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • ACL Problem
    ... - ext3 does not work anywhere, error as in not supported ACLs ... - reiserfs does not work either (does in support acls anyway?) ... setfacl: woech: Operation not supported ... tmpfs on /etc/cinit/tmp type tmpfs ...
    (Linux-Kernel)