Re: NIS+PAM+SSH+Firewalling.....all in the mix

Stachu 'Dozzie' K. wrote:
On 09.08.2007, Chris Cox <ccox_nopenotthis@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
NIS is used for more than just authentication. If permissions are
checked, then NIS will get used.

Eh? When and how? I thought that NIS serves mapping between usernames
and UIDs, and permissions are usually saved with UIDs instead of
usernames.

A script might do an ls -l or something that will do a uid to name
mapping, etc. It's just one of those things that can trip
you up. It's one of the reasons why you run a nscd with NIS, but
of course, that in itself can cause a world of grief since
it caches everything, including password data.

NIS can create a LOT of traffic to the yp server.

  • Re: NIS and mixing distros
    ... just controlling access from the server. ... The way we do it is to use NIS only ... and we use UIDs>= 1000 for this. ... NIS for user accounts. ...
    (Fedora)
  • getpwuid_r()
    ... nicht mit UIDs ... die über NIS angeliefert werden? ... TG> geschrieben und noch nicht weiter nach Ursachen gesucht, ... Google mal nach nis, acroread7 und meinem Namen ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.bsd)
  • Re: NIS+PAM+SSH+Firewalling.....all in the mix
    ... I thought that NIS serves mapping between usernames ... and UIDs, and permissions are usually saved with UIDs instead of ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: NIS+PAM+SSH+Firewalling.....all in the mix
    ... I thought that NIS serves mapping between usernames ... and UIDs, and permissions are usually saved with UIDs instead of ... So it's not checking the permissions (which statement suggests ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)