Computer on network connected to the Internet

This is actually a Windows firewall problem, but I am asking it here because
with Windows, one simply clicks a button. Under Linux, one knows and
understand why we click the button.

I have a router connected by Ethernet to my Linux box (Mandriva Spring) and
by wireless to my wife's laptop running Windows XP. Both XP's own firewall
and the installed CA Security suite claim that for maximum security, the
Windows box must be totally isolated from the network, because it has
access to the Internet. This means that it can't be part of Samba, or it
may infect my Linux box (don't laugh), so it can't use my printer (which is
the only reason I installed Samba.)

I decided that this setting was too extreme and idiotic, so I dropped the
security level there sufficiently to allow networking and SMB. Her box
still can't send emails, and her firewall is blocking them. Apparently it
is still in the "cotton-wool" zone - there, but deprived of all usefulness.
What I probably need to do (but I haven't yet) is to move emails or OE into
the same intermediate zone. And I have been cursing Windows for something
that wasn't their fault.

I know that everything in life is compromise. What is a reasonable way of
tackling this?

BTW, CA has an anti-zombie setting. If it detects that mass emails are
going out, it blocks them, but that isn't what is stopping my wife's one
email a month. OE says it can find the SMTP server, but can't connect to
it. Totally disabling the firewall allows the connection.

Doug - he who must obey.
--
Programming is like sex: One mistake and you have to support it for your
lifetime.

  • Re: Life is beautiful pps
    ... Never open attachments to emails unless you know the sender and were ... Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP ... antivirus setup and automatically updating/scanning ... Why you should use a computer firewall.. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Seriously, now that I got Linux LiveCD running, what can I do with it? Newbie questions
    ... For example, there are some differences in the way distributions handle updates, configuration, root access, etc. - bbgruff is probably used to other distributions and was a little inaccurate about the way sudo is used in Ubuntu and Mint. ... It's probably easier for you to understand if I translate things roughly into windows terms. ... They are not entirely equivalent - MS didn't get things quite right when they copied user access from Linux for use in NT, or when they copied sudo as "user account control" in Vista. ... I don't normally configure a firewall on desktop or laptop Linux machines, and only do so on servers if they are internet-accessible. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Seriously, now that I got Linux LiveCD running, what can I do with it? Newbie questions
    ... as opposed to in Windows. ... this is not a software firewall as in Windows. ... firewalling code in GNU/Linux is actually part of the Linux kernel ... Kubuntu, Xubuntu et al, the first user account created at installation ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Seriously, now that I got Linux LiveCD running, what can I do with it? Newbie questions
    ... In Linux, there are three sorts of users - root, system users, and ... non-administrator users on Windows. ... I have a postgresql database server running on this system. ... especially if you have a hardware firewall ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Recommendation needed for a firewall appliance
    ... >>I was unsuccessful in getting an IPSec VPN going with a Win2K ... >There are several firewall specific linux distros, Astaro, Coyote ... >There are some small firewall units, and there are small Managed Security ... >> for Windows, OSX and Linux. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)