Re: Choosing a firewall.

On 5 Apr, 10:33, "Gerry \(The MOTH\)" <Gerry (TheMOTH)> wrote:
I'm new to linux and using Firestarter via Ubuntu, from what I understand
all these firewall applications are just a GUI for the built-in iptables.

I'd like to think I know what I'm doing, and would also recommend
Firestarter.

Because of the way (every-other-operatirng-system-apart-from-
Misrosoft's) work, its not really practical to allow/disallow client
connections on a per-executable basis - and if you do run on Microsoft
it's relatively easy to fool so doesn't really help much.

(yes I know about app-armour and similar, but I didn't think it would
help the discussion at this point).

C.

  • Re: Firestarter, how to use it
    ... > firestarter, it seems nothing happen, and no menu nor questions. ... started from within a GUI desktop, like KDE or Gnome or several others. ... available to get and use a command line interface from within a GUI ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: webpage bookmark program in C
    ... Note that the C language does not include a GUI. ... platform; they should be able to offer recommendations. ... If you actually want to write good C code, I recommend using a C ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Looking for a starting point
    ... Can anyone recommend a book or website (besides the Sun ... The GUI stuff was much more ... Oh, what fun - fancy colors and fonts for alternate rows, ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: [9.2] recommend an alternative to KMail
    ... > I'm going to try another email program, to see if that works any ... GUI that I use is Squirrelmail. ... not allowed to recommend non GUI, I recommend Squirrelmail. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: GUI firewall and router administration tool
    ... router administration tools that has amazing granularity and makes ... recommend Smoothwall. ... a web gui. ...
    (Ubuntu)