Guard Dog not effective on services startup

Somebody on a NG (probably here) suggested Guarddog as a simple interface to iptables. I have been using it for a few months, and am pleased with its simplicity. However, there is part of its behavior that I don't understand.

For security reasons, I do not start all services at boot. However, I have observed that when I start services ad hoc, iptables is blocking access to them. The resolution is to open Guarddog and click on the Apply button *without changing any of the settings*. As soon as I do that (and accept the warning), everything connects perfectly.

This happens on both local and internet protocols. For example, http and https are enabled on the Internet and local protocol panels, but when I start Apache, nobody can connect until I click the Guarddog Apply button. ssh is only authorized on the Local panel, but again, when I start sshd, no local machines can connect until I click the Apply button.

Is this "working as intended", or do I have some configuration to change?

Thanks,

Jim

  • Re: GUI front end for iptables
    ... >> reliable GUI to iptables that i can easily download and configure? ... I am having some problems with the guarddog app. ... current firewall configuration. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Need help with Java MulticastSocket
    ... rick wrote: ... are going to listen on port 12345 you need a chain on the INPUT side that has an ACCEPT for UDP on that port. ... The syntax of iptables is kind of complicated so it might be simpler to use your Guarddog program to open the UDP port. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: security setup without firewall?
    ... If you want a relatively easy front end, try Guarddog. ... it configures iptables. ... It starts with everything closed but stateful ... http and email and you open things as needed. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: First day with Ubuntu - now what?
    ... even know how to work the command line and you're recommending he ... For anti-virus I use both firehol and guarddog (on my ... both use iptables to get things done. ... I also used to use 4dos and much prefer bash. ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • [kde-linux] Re: Alternative to Guarddog
    ... guarddog used ipchains to run iptables or some such scheme. ... kernel 3.0 itself. ... I downloaded the tarball and see in the docs that rc.firewall is an ...
    (KDE)