Guard Dog not effective on services startup
- From: JimR <kd1yv8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 23:06:26 -0500
Somebody on a NG (probably here) suggested Guarddog as a simple interface to iptables. I have been using it for a few months, and am pleased with its simplicity. However, there is part of its behavior that I don't understand.
For security reasons, I do not start all services at boot. However, I have observed that when I start services ad hoc, iptables is blocking access to them. The resolution is to open Guarddog and click on the Apply button *without changing any of the settings*. As soon as I do that (and accept the warning), everything connects perfectly.
This happens on both local and internet protocols. For example, http and https are enabled on the Internet and local protocol panels, but when I start Apache, nobody can connect until I click the Guarddog Apply button. ssh is only authorized on the Local panel, but again, when I start sshd, no local machines can connect until I click the Apply button.
Is this "working as intended", or do I have some configuration to change?
- Prev by Date: Re: how to prevent attack on my POP server / hosts.deny
- Next by Date: Re: Guard Dog not effective on services startup
- Previous by thread: how to prevent attack on my POP server / hosts.deny
- Next by thread: Re: Guard Dog not effective on services startup