Re: Open Ports-FW settins

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:13:22 -0000
"Keith W" <witheyk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Many thanks for these - they look much more at the level for a 'newbee' like
me - where I even have to confirm much of the jargon, let alone the
technical details! (If only the different systems used the same language!
8-)

My pleasure :-)

It is amazing how different in detail the approaches between Linux and
Windows are. I have been looking for something like the 'firewall and virus
checker' approach of windows, but this only seems to exist for servers. My
system is a peer to peer running through a terminal/router, with a separate
firewall and virus checker on each W2000 machine, which seems to be unusual
in linux, where one machine becomes the 'guardian' firewall router for the
others.

You may want to check this recent article exactly on the subject:

http://security.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/02/13/1637251&tid=35

--
Mikhail
.