Re: Open Ports-FW settins

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:13:22 -0000
"Keith W" <witheyk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Many thanks for these - they look much more at the level for a 'newbee' like
me - where I even have to confirm much of the jargon, let alone the
technical details! (If only the different systems used the same language!
8-)

My pleasure :-)

It is amazing how different in detail the approaches between Linux and
Windows are. I have been looking for something like the 'firewall and virus
checker' approach of windows, but this only seems to exist for servers. My
system is a peer to peer running through a terminal/router, with a separate
firewall and virus checker on each W2000 machine, which seems to be unusual
in linux, where one machine becomes the 'guardian' firewall router for the
others.

You may want to check this recent article exactly on the subject:

http://security.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/02/13/1637251&tid=35

--
Mikhail

  • Re: Service Pack 2
    ... leave the virus checker alone. ... checker in SP2 and you still need the existing one. ... The firewall is slightly more complicated. ... third-party firewall or the Windows one even before SP2. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Guide to secure installtion of IIS 5
    ... don't forget a well-configured firewall. ... Do not put the computer onto the network or the Internet until after the ... Follow the instructions for hardening Windows and IIS at ... Install all service packs and security fixes from Microsoft and otherwise ...
  • Re: Is secedit.exe left by a hacker?
    ... > tested on port 445. ... > I have a Linksys router that I use as a firewall to my ... Secedit.exe is the name of a legitimate Windows file, ... investigate the files on your computer - antivirus with the latest updates ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Is secedit.exe left by a hacker?
    ... >> tested on port 445. ... >> I have a Linksys router that I use as a firewall to my ... >investigate the files on your computer - antivirus with ... >windows and everything else. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: How to Maintain an IIS Server?
    ... > server running on a Windows 2000 server. ... before a firewall and antivirus have been installed]. ... open ports; however, this will not identify which program is using the port. ...