Re: Preventing SFTP-access

On Jan 26, 9:37 pm, Allen Kistler <ackist...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Douglas O'Neal wrote:
Allen Kistler wrote:
Douglas O'Neal wrote:
Allen Kistler wrote:
Hal Murray wrote:
They need the SSH-accss, but I don't want them to be able to
download anything...
Yes, it is possible.

Remove openssh-clients from the target box.

Command line access to the box only requires openssh-server to be
installed. scp/sftp requires openssh-clients, too.
That doesn't prevent them from downloading things. It might
make it more complicated.

[snip]
... but it does accomplish the subject topic.
... ... but it does not accomplish the task described in the message.

Actually it does. It's just that "Hal Murray" hacked that part out and
only kept the part he wanted. Read the original post.

So the original post read (before Hal Murry "hacked" it up):
I have a RHEL4 server, where a couple of users log in using SSH to access
some sets of data.
As of now, since the users have read-access to the datasets, they can
also
connect to the server with SFTP to download these datasets.

I was wondering if it is possible to prevent use of SFTP, while still
allowing SSH-sessions.

They need the SSH-accss, but I don't want them to be able to download
anything...

How does removing command line ssh clients from the target box keep
users from downloading data via a screen capture?

Let's read that again...
I was wondering if it is possible to prevent use of SFTP, while still
allowing SSH-sessions.

The OP had a problem, e.g., how to keep people from downloading data,
and proposed his solution - disable sftp. The answer that sftp/scp can
be disabled without disabling ssh is incomplete in that it answers his
direct question but does not solve his problem. His users can still
download data in a large variety of ways.

Doug

  • Re: For a website, are Excel scripts better than other programming
    ... It didn't mention downloading, ... acceptable for downloading data from websites. ... scripts better than other programming language scripts such as Ajax, ... Advice Pro ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.programming)
  • Re: Backup Assistant Data Charges?
    ... If you have an AC/ACII plan, ... downloading data from GIN. ... That $2 charge is probably for the initial download ...
    (alt.cellular.verizon)
  • Re: receiving mail stalled out
    ... Can you verify that the connection is actually downloading data? ... If the connection is not busy during that time, then the problem is something else. ... made it through before it stalls out on message # 3. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: Is the DVD iso too big for my FTP client?
    ... >> I've been trying to get the huge file using FileZilla running under XP. ... >> But it keeps downloading data even when the file size has been exceeded. ... >> ISTR mention of a limitation on filesize for certain FTP clients. ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: internet explorer
    ... Disabling or enabling ... communicate internet problems via the network rather than telephone. ... VX2 is primarily a data mining form of spyware that monitors your activity ... before downloading. ...