Re: Password scan

Ertugrul Soeylemez wrote:
Jim Garrison <jhg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (06-12-22 11:19:05):

2) Disable root login. If you need to do remote admin, login as a
normal user and use su or sudo. Remember to give your non-root
user sudo authority BEFORE you disable root login :-)

3) Disable password-based authentication and use key-based auth only.
In key-based auth every user must possess a unique private key file
in addition to the key-file's passphrase, and no password hash is
ever sent over the wire.

Bad idea. If you need to login to a normal user first, and then issue
su/sudo to become root, an attacker can easily guess the length of the
root password, by nothing more than counting packets. When using
key-based authentication, better login to root directly.

That has its own dangers. There are numerous reasons to force non-root
login first, but the main reason is tracking: which of the authorized
root users on a system logged in and blew up the system at 4:00 AM last
night? It also makes it easier to cut off one inappropriate or expired
user than to expire the root passwords on all machines that user has
root access to.

  • SUMARY: Cant login as root
    ... As a result, i was not able to log in as root, neither create a new ... Asunto: RE: Can't login as root ... > console. ... > If we log as any other user everythig is ok, but we cannot either do su-. ...
    (Tru64-UNIX-Managers)
  • RE: Urgent help needed with Login problems after installation of FC1
    ... symptom trying to su back to root. ... After another minimal install, I was able to add my user and su to it and su ... I was unable to boot using the boot floppy. ... I did a minimal install and was able to login as root, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: BSM, SSH, and Session ID
    ... Are you logging in as root through ssh or is that just the way it is ... Sun SSH/OpenSSH should fork off before the login because the sshd ... It should always be a different session, ...
    (Focus-SUN)
  • Re: Urgent help needed with Login problems after installation of FC1
    ... login would do anything but loop back to the Login: ... >From Gnome desktop, I was able to logout user, login root, over and ... Am able to boot from floppy. ... >After another minimal install, I was able to add my user and su to ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: i can not log as a root
    ... >> how i can log as a user but not as a root. ... > Problem seems to be with the X session not your login but we'll try a few ... > select the OS/kernel that you boot to, ... > Looks like something is wrong with your Xsessions script or one of the ...
    (linux.redhat)