Re: Weird situation

"Barton L. Phillips" <barton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (06-12-16 06:09:22):

I have seen a lot of enterprise Windows shops and almost all of them
have a VERY restricted user policy. No casual user has "Administrator"
(root) privilege. These shops are just a locked down as any Unix shop
and in some cases more locked down as they also use policies to
restrict use of applications and ACL (access control lists) to
restrict privileges (something which Linux has only recently started
to support). These enterprise shops have a full time staff of IT
people that have been trained and get good pay. End users do NOT under
any circumstance get to install anything. It can be pretty draconian
but it works just like the Sun shops I worked in. If you need it done
you have to call the IT people who come and do it and leave.

Most people just don't have the understanding or patience for this at
home. Windows biggest problem, in my opinion, has been there is no
equivalent to su or sudo. Windows does have a "Run As" mechanism but
it is disabled by default and it is just too hard to make work, if
fact it is just plane broken. Linux distributions like Ubuntu make it
pretty easy for a person to keep from living as root. The sudo
mechanism works pretty well, though it is a problem if a person is too
uninitiated. It is also not a good distribution, in my opinion, for an
enterprise shop as it is too easy to be root and destroy everything.

I hope I don't get flamed for this. As I said it is just my opinion
and I could be wrong.

In some matters, yes. The problem of Windows is, that security means
restriction. To secure something up, you need to prohibit at least this
particular thing. For example, in Linux you can do almost anything as a
normal user, besides changing system-wide things.

In Windows, such a configuration is not possible. Some people might
consider this security by obscurity. Like I have to prohibit my
children from turning on the TV themselves, so I get control over which
programs they watch.

Regards,
E.S.

  • Re: Weird situation
    ... restrict privileges (something which Linux has only recently started ... These enterprise shops have a full time staff of IT ... Windows biggest problem, in my opinion, has been there is no ... pretty easy for a person to keep from living as root. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: BBC 6 Music and Asian Network face axe in shake-up
    ... subject to the effects like 'computer' shops that don't give any sign ... How much money would a computer shop make from supplying Linux? ... how much would the shop lose by not selling Windows? ... decade or two ago, and had nowt about the modern apps, etc. I've also been ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)
  • Re: Weird situation
    ... These shops are just a locked down as any Unix shop ... and in some cases more locked down as they also use policies to restrict ... The "popular" distributions do have this advantage. ... The problem is that the helper programs are hiding ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: possible piracy
    ... I know alot of little shops do things like this, upgrade you to Windows XP ... actually try to save the client money as well(clearly you can see it doesn't ... why the police or microsoft hasn't done anything. ...
  • Re: Crawl: can one find 3700 gold?
    ... items in shops, or search for SHOP to check the contents of all the ... However, Gerry's using TileCrawl, which is quite a bit behind the times ... Darshan implemented stash searching, yes. ... the Windows version of Crawl was using Windows' native RNG, ...
    (rec.games.roguelike.misc)