Re: Weird situation

Moe Trin wrote:
On 14 Dec 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.security, in article
Obviously, it's going to depend quite a bit on what those users are
doing now. Later versions of windoze are adopting the concept of
user verses administrator, but from where I stand, I see that most
are resisting the idea of running with lesser privilege, apparently
because they can't do all the things that they feel the need to do.
How realistic this stance may be, I can't say, as I have no one
using windoze either at home or work.

I have seen a lot of enterprise Windows shops and almost all of them have a VERY restricted user policy. No casual user has "Administrator" (root) privilege. These shops are just a locked down as any Unix shop and in some cases more locked down as they also use policies to restrict use of applications and ACL (access control lists) to restrict privileges (something which Linux has only recently started to support). These enterprise shops have a full time staff of IT people that have been trained and get good pay. End users do NOT under any circumstance get to install anything. It can be pretty draconian but it works just like the Sun shops I worked in. If you need it done you have to call the IT people who come and do it and leave.

Most people just don't have the understanding or patience for this at home. Windows biggest problem, in my opinion, has been there is no equivalent to su or sudo. Windows does have a "Run As" mechanism but it is disabled by default and it is just too hard to make work, if fact it is just plane broken. Linux distributions like Ubuntu make it pretty easy for a person to keep from living as root. The sudo mechanism works pretty well, though it is a problem if a person is too uninitiated. It is also not a good distribution, in my opinion, for an enterprise shop as it is too easy to be root and destroy everything.

I hope I don't get flamed for this. As I said it is just my opinion and I could be wrong.

  • Re: Weird situation
    ... restrict privileges (something which Linux has only recently started ... These enterprise shops have a full time staff of IT ... Windows biggest problem, in my opinion, has been there is no ... pretty easy for a person to keep from living as root. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: New biker, advice on clothing sought for v. tall person
    ... (I'm about to order the monsoons if anyone has any opinion on how good ... Also are there any shops in the UK that stock items outside the ... Bought the Hawk jacket & jeans and new boots. ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: GMT Wednesday 21th September 11
    ... New fire surround and fire duly arrived and fitted so going for a root ... round the shops today see what bits and pieces I can find. ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • Re: Why dont tri athletes ride campy?
    ... Can anyone offer an opinion as to why? ... then hang their own parts on it. ... In the shops I enter, prebuilt bikes tend to have Shimano on them. ...
    (rec.sport.triathlon)
  • Re: Why is IPTABLES so complicated
    ... Hugo Drax wrote: ... >> Please explain your opinion. ... >Call up a few buisness IT shops and ask for yourself. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)