Re: Weird situation

On 14 Dec 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.security, in article
<1166130869.168606.18470@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Andy C.(never #) wrote:

alt.computer.security: 1-73223
While I was exposed to Unix in college most of my early professional
work was on PC's with some AS/400 work mixed in. But very early on I
got disillusioned with Dos/windoze and started looking at alternatives.
I ordered and installed 386BSD from Dr. Dobbs

I knew Bill before he created 386BSD - in fact he did a bit of his early
work on voice synthesizers in the mid 1970s on a desktop calculator
(HP9830) in my lab. He was then an intern from UC.

So, when I got to do Linux as a professional, the transition from the
windows way of doing things to Unix/Linux was a breeze. In fact it was
natural. But for a windows user suddenly thrust into Linux/Unix it must
be a bit constraining.

It's a whole different world. While early PC users (running DOS) had
some similarities to a *nix, the introduction of windoze went a long way
to break any similarities. My wife still doesn't feel as comfortable
at the UNIX command line as she did at the DOS command line. Some of
that is the horrendous increase in the number of commands (DOS 5 had
68 commands - there are over 1350 in my user path, and over 1650 as
root) but part was the dependence on clicking on some icon or a pull
down menu to accomplish something. She got _very_ used to that.

What would you suggest as a way of gradually moving windows users into
a Linux/Unix network? I've used VMWare and have suggested it as a way
to have windows users run their OS without allowing them complete
control of a machine, but it seems a bit like overkill.

Obviously, it's going to depend quite a bit on what those users are
doing now. Later versions of windoze are adopting the concept of
user verses administrator, but from where I stand, I see that most
are resisting the idea of running with lesser privilege, apparently
because they can't do all the things that they feel the need to do.
How realistic this stance may be, I can't say, as I have no one
using windoze either at home or work.

I feel most of the move is a function of the applications that the users
are trying to run. Is the work basically text editing? Spreadsheets?
Databases? You probably won't find *nix applications that look/feel
exactly like their windoze counterparts, but you probably _will_
find ones that are close. I had a friend at Grumman who was using
a set of programs called 'CrossoverOffice' from CodeWeaver to run
windoze (NT, I think) applications on a Linux box. It was less
expensive than VMWare and windoze. Are they programmers trying to
write C, or perl, or some besotted version of hypertext? Applications
used in that area may function identically, but will look and feel
quite different.

Old guy

We're only as old as our kids tell us we are...

Geez, am I in trouble.

Old guy

.