Re: Weird situation

Moe Trin wrote:
On 14 Dec 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.security, in article
<1166103989.939017.4900@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Andy C.(never #) wrote:
SNIP

Thanks for reminding me of why I do so much of what I do. I think you
have hit on something, also.

While I was exposed to Unix in college most of my early professional
work was on PC's with some AS/400 work mixed in. But very early on I
got disillusioned with Dos/windoze and started looking at alternatives.
I ordered and installed 386BSD from Dr. Dobbs and when the Linux
distros started showing up, I bought them and tried them and watched
them grow and mature. And on my PC's and network I was root when I
wanted to be. And if I messed something up, I got to reinstall what I
had broken. So, when I got to do Linux as a professional, the
transition from the windows way of doing things to Unix/Linux was a
breeze. In fact it was natural. But for a windows user suddenly thrust
into Linux/Unix it must be a bit constraining.

What would you suggest as a way of gradually moving windows users into
a Linux/Unix network? I've used VMWare and have suggested it as a way
to have windows users run their OS without allowing them complete
control of a machine, but it seems a bit like overkill.

Old guy

We're only as old as our kids tell us we are...

Later,

Andy C.(never #)

  • Re: Reinstalling Windows
    ... OS doesn't have to be fancy or anything for a server. ... Administrator or the root (in Linux talk). ... But my guess is there were more and more Windows users locking his Linux ...
    (comp.sys.laptops)
  • Re: Is there any valid reason to add an idiotic script to /etc/init.d by an default Debian install t
    ... With todays clock speeds you may care about overheating. ... There's no big difference for the load and the load will cause the heat. ... system's guts and enjoy learning while windows users are more ... Linux just regarding to ethical reasons or better software regarding to ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Freeware SGF Editor! (from Moyo Go Studio)
    ... I am 100% sure that Linux and Mac users are perfectly OK people. ... even not necessarily as ok as windows users ... not interested in the high quality graphical features that only ...
    (rec.games.go)
  • Re: Some personal linux observations
    ... >>If you take this to a more difficult problem, such as configuration, it ... > It is a problem with ALL complex systems. ... I get the feeling that a lot of Windows users who install Linux haven't. ...
    (alt.os.linux)