Re: Weird situation

s. keeling wrote:
Matt Hayden <aquacraft.com>:
Matt Hayden wrote:

SNIP

First, thanks for your replies. You confirm my concerns. But, wait,
there's more:

I noticed on one of the production boxes that there were quite a few
"hidden" perl scripts(period first character in file name) and these
boxes have partions that are mounted to windows machines via NFS. I
asked one of the brain trust why they were doing that when a windows
user can see those files because a period in the first position of the
file name doesn't mean anything to windows explorer. The answer was
along the lines that when someone ftp's into those boxes, they don't
want them to see those scripts and accidentally run them. I blurted out
"do you know what chroot does?" and then I said "Wait a minute, are you
talking about regular old ftp?" and he said "Yeah." with a "so what"
kind of voice. I walked away. Now, I think I need to be looking for
another job.

Thanks again,

Andy C.(never #)

  • Re: Delayed Startup
    ... select the Hide All Microsoft Services check ... After Windows starts, determine whether the symptoms still occur. ... Note Look closely at the General tab to make sure that the check boxes ... clear the Load System Services check box on the General tab. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: Sinking combobox events for multiple documents
    ... I have couple of buttons and combos on my toolbar. ... > the rest of the windows got updated. ... >> I created an ATL COM addin for Microsoft Word. ... I create the combo boxes with the application first start and I ...
    (microsoft.public.office.developer.com.add_ins)
  • Re: It is almost certain now, INTEL will have 64bit x86 !!
    ... For 32-bit Windows boxes it is a problem. ... Since Sun has sold very few Opteron boxes, to date, can I assume that ... the positive quarters and $4.58B in losses in the negative quarters ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: fedora as a gateway / server
    ... boxes and one Linux box. ... I would like to change this to have a Linux box ... Is Samba still what I should use to store Windows files? ... The SMEserver disro can do this too, all configured with a simple web interface, and on the same or a different box than the internet gateway although the canned appliance-like configs can make it difficult to add things it doesn't include. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Starting out
    ... dialog boxes. ... Find great Windows Forms articles in Windows Forms Tips and Tricks ... > the Amazon SOAP web service (fetching product information based on ISBN ...