Re: probing operating sytem

"poncenby" <buzzinfly@xxxxxx> (06-11-21 14:19:53):

I'd be suprised if there were not tools already out there for this
but, with a simple bit of scripting you could use fdisk to find out
the filesystem type and using mount, ls and grep you should be able
to get a good idea of the OS in use. You could even use a hashing
algorithm to check file versions and hence work out what OS version
is in use.

Would that be any use to you?

I'm using a few of the sleuthkit tools but I'm not that keen on having
to mount basically every partition node under /dev. Just hoping
someone knew of a tool that already has the OS identification
functionality that works on /dev block devices/dd images etc etc.

You will be searching forever. Script it yourself, it's easy. Just
mount the partition with '-t auto', and check some files' hash values,
as Bogwitch already suggested. An appropriate shell script should not
exceed 15 lines. You will find the '-c' option to 'sha1sum'
particularly useful.

However, this is not a security related problem.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: netatalk, NFS, OS X and backup
    ... Personally I use a combination of applescript and cli. ... With applescript you create a script that mounts the remote afp volume. ... Personally I put the mount command inside the try block to prevent error ...
  • Cron Runs Script Twice - Once With Error and Once Without?
    ... I have a script that runs from cron. ... on another machine, copies some files from it, and then unmounts the ... The success email is just as I'd expect but I don't ... Unable to mount /blacklamb. ...
  • Re: Managing various removable FAT drives
    ... The script is called as " usbmount ... This script can be run as user, because I have generic entries in ... they do not have a FAT filesystem the user will be unable to mount ... University of Cambridge, Zoology Department, Downing Street, CAMBRIDGE CB2 3EJ ...
  • Re: Need help with backup shell script
    ... full backup of /backup on my server once or ... The script must be able to ... mount usb_drive $MOUNT ... USB support and SCSI/da support in my previous kernel. ...
  • Re: f8 boots!
    ... Seriously, whatever script processes the fstab and assembles the system, needs ... erroneous mount operation is much preferable in such a case. ... whose line contains the noauto keyword. ...