backup operation: back up the files belong to www-run

Hello. I need to decide how to back up my web server from my office. The
webserver is in the datacenter far away. Among all files that needs to
be backed up, a lot of them are owned by www-run and have permission of
600, these files are uploaded by the web visitors.

My idea is I can run a script in crontab, on the desktop in my office,
that connects to the web server through ssh and fetch files I need to
back up. This script connects to the web server as a normal user, but
then the script cannot read the files web visitors uploaded (permission
denied). So far I thinked about 4 methods I can solve this problem, I
want to share these ideas with experienced users on the group and listen
to your suggestions;)

1: I try to set proper umask so that the files uploaded by visitors
automatically have permission like 644. This way my backup script do
have permission to read these files.

2: I try to let my backup script connect to the webserver as root. The
webserver forbids root login, thus I may need to configure sshd to allow
root login.

3: I try to use 'sudu', connect to the webserver as a normal user and
'sudo' to root to fetch the files.

4: I try to let my backup script connect to webserver as user 'www-run'.
To do so I need to give www-run user login permission, by changing its
login shell from /bin/false to /bin/bash.

so, which idea do you think is better? Any suggestions?

  • Re: backup operation: back up the files belong to www-run
    ... then the script cannot read the files web visitors uploaded (permission ... I try to let my backup script connect to the webserver as root. ... webserver forbids root login, thus I may need to configure sshd to allow ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • [SLE] (with better English) Re: [SLE] backup operation: back up the files belong to www-run
    ... There are a lot of files created by www-run ... permission is 600. ... The backup script run in my office desktop, ... I need to decide how to back up my web server from my office. ...
    (SuSE)
  • New webserver
    ... This web server is on a LAN with SBS 2003. ... This new webserver is serving our corporate web site. ... You do not have permission to view this directory or page ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: nobody using sudo -- scary!
    ... don't run your webserver as "nobody". ... If this web server is tightly controlled and only used for controlling ... it permission to run that script. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: PHP Runs In WinXP Command Window But Not In Browser
    ... A surfer users their web browser to send a request to a webserver at ... php script processor back to the web browser. ... You need to check that your web server is working. ...
    (comp.lang.php)