by itself...) and than add a more powerfull firewall software (not
another ditro, just a program) if needed?
I'd like to make some comparison before deciding what to keep, so on
the BSD side I'm now downloading FreeBSD, while on the Linux side I've
not yet decided (maybe Debian, ubuntu, Gentoo...), suggestion?

Thanks for helping,
Marco

Jesper H. wrote:
On 2006-08-08, Ertugrul Soeylemez wrote:
Now you just need to enable IP forwarding. Many distributions provide
simple facilities to do this, but at the low level, you would issue
the following command:

# echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

However, if your distribution provides such facilities, you should use
them, as otherwise you had to issue that command after each reboot.

Wouldn't it be better/cleaner to configure it in /etc/sysctl.conf?

--
|\_/| ,(Meow) Jesper H. <xyborx+usenet@xxxxxxxxx>
(^.^)

  • Re: Help with forward (masq)
    ... > When i type this command: ... Which window manager, they have different icons and file access locations. ... Always provide what distro and release level you are using ... Using RH 7.3, kde, dhcpcd though a cable modem on RR in Fortworth Tx. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Help with forward (masq)
    ... > When i type this command: ... Which window manager, they have different icons and file access locations. ... Always provide what distro and release level you are using ... Using RH 7.3, kde, dhcpcd though a cable modem on RR in Fortworth Tx. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: best distro for security
    ... I was thinking I could try with some live distro, ... "general distro" (which usually has yet more secure features than Win ... However, if your distribution provides such facilities, you should use ... as otherwise you had to issue that command after each reboot. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Ubuntu (Linux); my first experience of...
    ... Linux itself screwed up, OO is fine. ... So find the relevant python distro, set it up and install. ... It went on the bookshelf, but when I had the SLS Linux command line, I ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Accessing a WIFI hotspot by hand: howto?
    ... WIFI access-point. ... You do not say which distro you have. ... On at least some distros, there is a command, ... You set up that file and then run ifup (eg ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)