Re: Somebody is keep trying to ssh into my systems, how can I stop that?

responder wrote:

Peter Pearson wrote:

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 06:01:51 -0400, responder <no@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I thought someone told me that NSA had a copyright or a patent on the
algorithms used in RSA. But I might be mistaken. Or it could just be
hearsay. I'm sure I heard or read it several times. I do remember the
last person who mentioned it to me, but it still might not be true.
Could you possibly confirm or deny that, authoritatively?

The RSA patent (4,405,829, issued 1977.12.14) expired a couple years
ago, and never belonged to NSA.

I also thought that I had read that the US government had demanded and
received assurances that they would have "backdoors" or "trapdoors",
whatever the right term might be, to all cryptology or cryptography
available in the US. Do you have any information on that to share with
us all about that all, please?

The US government has no way to enforce a "backdoor" requirement on
open-source software like GPG and OpenSSL. Anybody in the US can
download the source from any site in the world, scrutinize it for
backdoors, publicize them, remove them, and recompile.

Before the message gets too old, I wanted to say thanks for the kind and
reassuring message. I am still reading background, etc. I do trust
open-source for the reasons stated. There are still security updates
coming for much open-source software, semi-regularly.

You are giving (almost all of us) too much credit if expected to do these
things and also have the mathematical expertise to scrutinize a
cryptographic algorithm and it's implementation. But thanks and a tip of
the hat for the positive assumptions. I truly hope and wish that you are
always and always right about this particular case.

Understand that the security of RSA encryption lies in the relative
difficulty of factoring large numbers into primes. Key is the word
"relative". In our current environment, I see no reason to doubt that
NSA would spend Billions of (public taxpayer) $ for adequate computing
power to factor the numbers of the beasts that they see, and within short
time frames.

Once the numbers are factored, the gained power is only exercised via
MITM.

Thanks again and best wishes.

Wow, how long did it take you to come up with that? To tell you the truth,
NSA would have lots of easier ways to get what they want. Hell, what they
would pay to break any key I have, they could have my computer and all the
passwords, just give me the money instead! I'm not worried that this is any
legitimate method of attack of my system.

--
Still waiting for a rational answer from Bittwister to this:
<nfqlo3-qds.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.