Re: X windows: don't install or don't run?

ibuprofin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Moe Trin) (06-07-26 15:02:01):

System security hazards only come from programs, which are SetUIDd
to root.

This statement is demonstrably false.

In the context given, it is true. Neither a user, nor someone attacking
that particular user, could harm system security by exploiting
vulnerabilities in non-SUID programs, unless there is a serious kernel
bug, and unless there are some important files world-writable (and some
even world-readable).

Regards,
E.S.

  • Re: What book)s) would use modern upper class English?
    ... whole lot of you are bent on attacking anybody who disagrees with you ... instead of clarifying the point of disagreement first and making sure ... including the complete context in each case. ... pointing out where your worldview shines through and what your statements ...
    (rec.arts.sf.written)
  • Re: Henry Pasternacks Norton triode model???
    ... Typos are a nuisance, but there's enough context in the rest of the paragraph to ... The only thing attacking me personally shows ...
    (rec.audio.tubes)
  • Re: The oil spill and diving OT
    ... that history. ... I'll grant you that, but, context and emphasis are the whole game. ... Burma without attacking Pearl Harbor. ... I simply stated that plans or no ...
    (rec.scuba)
  • Re: Any advice on planning?
    ... context. ... By attacking the fellow that everyone else is attacking, ... meta message "please accept me. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.composition)
  • Re: Geese vs ganders (was most climbed with rec.climber)
    ... demonstrably false. ... Context is more important than the ... word alone. ... Now that's actually true, and contradicts your idiosyncratic ...
    (rec.climbing)