Re: How to set up an account lockout counter?

boomboom999@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Hello,
An easy question for Linux gurus :)
How can I set up a counter of incorrect tries for local user accounts
on a Linux box, so that after 3 or 5 tries the account gets temporarily
locked out or suspended?

BAd idea. This allows anyone to lock out your users from your machines.
(Denial of Service attack). Far better to ensure that your users use good
passwords.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

  • Acount lockout
    ... An easy question for Linux gurus:) ... How can I set up a counter of incorrect tries for local user accounts ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • How to set up an account lockout counter?
    ... An easy question for Linux gurus:) ... How can I set up a counter of incorrect tries for local user accounts ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: How to set up an account lockout counter?
    ... An easy question for Linux gurus:) ... How can I set up a counter of incorrect tries for local user accounts ... In fact, you can apply different PAM modules for xdm, ttl, ssh, etc. ... This way, you can enforce lockouts for local xdm and ttl (these should, ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)