Re: how to enable iptables from CLI

Newsbox wrote:
On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 12:18:00 -0400, Newsbox wrote:

Just a note about the "punctuation marks". Different font faces render
differently, and some things that look alike or almost alike might be
insignificant in normal narrative text, but can be important to the "bash"
shell interpreter. I _think_ IIRC, the single quotes in the line below
might be either or both of two different characters:

` is the lc key to the left of "1" along the top of the keyboard

' is the lc key right of the ";"

I don't want to mess around too much right now to be sure. But if you
have trouble with it post back and I'm sure someone will help. ...Could
be a real bump in the road for anyone who wasn't aware. (OTOH, I might be
all wrong about this.)

kill -SIGNAL 'cat /var/run/syslogd.pid'

-- except with "-SIGNAL" replaced with "SIGHUP"

You know what, thank you for helping me out so much. Becasue had it not
been you I would never have found out this error.....

......Starting system logger: syslogd: error while loading shared
libraries: /lib/ld-linux.so.2: cannot apply additional memory
protection after relocation: Permission denied........

This happened when I noticed that no new log messages were coming into
/var/log/messages. So I did /etc/init.d/syslog restart.. but then I got
the above error....but still the kernel logger starts..

# /etc/init.d/syslog restart
Shutting down kernel logger: [ OK ]
Shutting down system logger: [FAILED]
Starting system logger: syslogd: error while loading shared libraries:
/lib/ld-linux.so.2: cannot apply additional memory protection after
relocation: Permission denied [FAILED]
Starting kernel logger: [ OK ]

Below is the original /etc/syslog.cof file on my home system which has
the problem..

# Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
# Don't log private authentication messages!
*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none /var/log/messages

# The authpriv file has restricted access.
authpriv.* /var/log/secure

# Log all the mail messages in one place.
mail.* - /var/log/maillog

# Log cron stuff
cron.* /var/log/cron

# Everybody gets emergency messages
*.emerg *

# Save news errors of level crit and higher in a special file.
uucp,news.crit /var/log/spooler

# Save boot messages also to boot.log
local7.* /var/log/boot.log

Thanks
Danish

  • Re: how to enable iptables from CLI
    ... and some things that look alike or almost alike might be ... Starting system logger: syslogd: error while loading shared libraries: ... # Log anything of level info or higher. ... # Log all the mail messages in one place. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • System Log Problems (Newbie Question -- Sorry!)
    ... I'm having some problems with the system logger ... # Log anything of level info or higher. ... # The authpriv file has restricted access. ... # Log all the mail messages in one place. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: how to enable iptables from CLI
    ... and some things that look alike or almost alike might be ... You need to follow the instructions in the man page for syslogd: ... Starting system logger: syslogd: error while loading shared libraries: ... # Log anything of level info or higher. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: how to enable iptables from CLI
    ... and some things that look alike or almost alike might be ... You need to follow the instructions in the man page for syslogd: ... Starting system logger: syslogd: error while loading shared libraries: ... # Log anything of level info or higher. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: how to enable iptables from CLI
    ... and some things that look alike or almost alike might be ... insignificant in normal narrative text, but can be important to the "bash" ... Starting system logger: syslogd: error while loading shared libraries: ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)