Re: X11 forwarding *works* for root, but not me -- what changed?

Kevin the Drummer <nobody@xxxxxxx> wrote:
After a machine reboot X11 forwarding no longer works for me.
But, it does work for root. This is backwards of the typical problem.
The error message I get is:

X connection to myhost.mydom.com:11.1 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

- The DISPLAY is the same for me as for root.

- root relies exclusively on /etc/ssh_config, i.e. there is no
~root/.ssh/config

'xauth -list' for root and for myself showed different magic cookies.
Merging root's magic cookie into my own .Xauthority fixed the immediate
problem. Shutting down X on the afflicted machines, zeroing out the
..Xauthority files, then restarting X seems to have solved most of the
problems. There is still one problem remaining though.

The remaining problems regards starting of 'exmh' like so:

/usr/bin/ssh myhost.mydom.com -f 'ssh anotherhost.mydom.com exmh'

I know that this looks a little odd, but this works:

/usr/bin/ssh myhost.mydom.com -f 'ssh anotherhost.mydom.com xterm'
/usr/bin/ssh myhost.mydom.com -f 'ssh anotherhost.mydom.com xlbiff'

I start the apps above like I do because 'myhost' is a quasi-DMZ.

The first time I tried to start 'exmh' as above I got

connect mhost.mydom.com port 6013: Connection refused
X connection to myhost.mydom.com:13.1 broken \
(explicit kill or server shutdown).

I already had ports 6000:6010 open on my firewall, and now I had to go a
bit farther to get 6013. After that, the error message is:

X connection to myhost.mydom.com:11.1 broken \
(explicit kill or server shutdown).

I have this set in my ssh config files:

/etc/ssh/ssh_config: ForwardAgent no
/etc/ssh/ssh_config: ForwardX11 yes
/etc/ssh/ssh_config: ForwardX11Trusted yes

/etc/ssh/sshd_config: X11Forwarding yes
/etc/ssh/sshd_config: X11UseLocalhost no

~/.ssh/config: ForwardX11 yes
~/.ssh/config: ForwardAgent yes

Part of what's happening seems to be that I get an incremented X display
for each new application that I launch. I think that everything used to
run on :10. But, now I'm getting :11, :12, :13, etc. It's possible
that if I could restrict this to :10, that just maybe life would be
easier.

Any guesses folks?

Thanks....

Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  • HP G85 USB printer fails with 2.6.3
    ... connected to a USB port. ... Mar 9 18:26:04 b resmgr: accepted connection from user root ... Number of Configurations: 1 ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: [PHP] strange errors from command line vs. web
    ... standard php. ... > can't run the script from the command line even when I su to root. ... >>> I have some code that makes a connection to the db. ...
    (php.general)
  • Re: pptp mppe as other than root?
    ... >> connect to my employer's windows vpn and access my work files. ... >> to do it as root. ... > The VPN is just a network connection. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: launching text editor as root
    ... VIM is probably falling back to its non window mode. ... Emacs is also giving you a hint, that the connection is being refused by ... which can be accessed from a number of machines. ... can become both 'root' and 'user' pretty quickly. ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Re: Newbie --Admin access problem on KDE... HELP!!
    ... >>have been trying to install kubuntu on my friends laptop. ... I have no connection to ... >>When I try to do something to change the network settings, ... >the root password you set up when asked. ...
    (Debian-User)