X11 forwarding *works* for root, but not me -- what changed?

After a machine reboot X11 forwarding no longer works for me.
But, it does work for root. This is backwards of the typical problem.
The error message I get is:

X connection to myhost.mydom.com:11.1 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

- The DISPLAY is the same for me as for root.

- root relies exclusively on /etc/ssh_config, i.e. there is no
~root/.ssh/config

- When I comment out everything in my ~/.ssh/config it still doesn't
work.

Like I say, this used to work fine. I don't think I changed anything,
but now it doesn't work. ssh *without* X works fine for me.

I've been all over google stuff, and checked the OpenSSH FAQ.
I'm using OpenSSH 4.3p1 on the client & OpenSSH 3.6.1p2 on the server.

I'd like some pointers on how to troubleshoot this please.

TIA....

Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  • Re: openSSH problems.
    ... ]I'm using openSSH 3.5p1 which I got from www.sunfreeware.com. ... ]Connection to [server] closed by remote host. ... Telnet works fine and as I said root can ssh in fine as well ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • SUing in a SSH xterm
    ... I usually ssh onto our admin servers as myself using: ... ssh -f -X server xterm ... Before updating to the current version of OpenSSH it was possible to then su to root and launch X programs. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Applied RHSA-2003:222 - now cat command corrupted
    ... > the server. ... Now, whenever I run the cat command, I receive a ... when run as "root"? ... OpenSSH and cat are completely unrelated. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Address Not Mapped to Object
    ... This is the error message i get when i try to get the value from the ... When server is started, after 15 mnts,the server throws above stack ... trace. ... Please let us know what could be the root cause for this issue ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • RFX Networks/ RackAdmin.com ALERT
    ... below was posted to some security websites. ... | in security and scalable server management on varying levels. ... Got Root? ... Your Server login ID is: ...
    (comp.os.linux)