Re: sendmail upgrade problem?

ynotssor wrote:
--- begin quote ---
-r-xr-sr-x root smmsp ... /PATH/TO/sendmail
drwxrwx--- smmsp smmsp ... /var/spool/clientmqueue
drwx------ root wheel ... /var/spool/mqueue
-r--r--r-- root wheel ... /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
-r--r--r-- root wheel ... /etc/mail/submit.cf

[Notice: On some OS "wheel" is not used but "bin" or "root" instead,
however, this is not important here.]

That is, the owner of sendmail is root, the group is smmsp, and the binary
is set-group-ID. The client mail queue is owned by smmsp with group smmsp
and is group writable. The client mail queue directory must be writable by
smmsp, but it must not be accessible for others. That is, do not use world
read or execute permissions. In submit.cf the option UseMSP must be set,
and QueueFileMode must be set to 0660.
--- end quote ---

Options should be set in *.mc of course, and the *.cf files rebuilt from
them.

Thanks!
On my system the paths look like this:
/usr/sbin/sendmail -> /etc/alternatives/mta
/etc/alternatives/mta -> /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail

I saved the original sendmail.sendmail as sendmail.sendmail.old and yes it has the set group while the new one I moved in does not. When I do chmod g+s /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail
I no longer get an error and everything works OK.

Thanks again it would have been a long time before I figured this out.

--
Barton L. Phillips

  • Re: sendmail upgrade problem?
    ... grep RunAsUser /etc/mail/sendmail.cf ... I think the smmsp account is correct. ... The client mail queue is owned by smmsp with group smmsp ... In submit.cf the option UseMSP must be set, ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: sendmail probs on Mandrake
    ... > mode requires special privileges, e.g., root or TrustedUser." ... sendmail must be a set-group-ID (default group: smmsp, ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)