Re: Funny Lines in Access_log

I set up a new CentOS server on a newer P4 chassis.

Thanks for the reply.

Doug

"Grant" <bugsplatter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 02:15:05 GMT, "Doug Holtz NOSPAM in adress"
<dholtzNOSPAM@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Group;

I've been running a PPro 200 DEC server for a number of years. O/S is Red
Hast 7.3 with patches.

I have a couple of lines in my access_log for httpd i.e. CONNECT
irc.chatstop.net:6667

It appears someone is trying to connect thru my machine to that server on
port 6667.

What is all this about? What will someone gain of they can get thru my
machine?

Proxy connection to services via your machine --> you get blamed for
bad stuff 'cos you acting as unwitting proxy. Bad.

Redhat 7.3 is well passed its use by date, perhaps an upgrade to some
less vulnerable distro?

Grant.
--
Memory fault -- brain fried

  • Re: test proxy
    ... >> I need to create a script to test a proxy connection to a specified ... what kind of server are you talking about? ... Or setting help setting up a proxy? ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: Funny Lines in Access_log
    ... I've been running a PPro 200 DEC server for a number of years. ... Hast 7.3 with patches. ... Proxy connection to services via your machine --> you get blamed for ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: cant ping any website through sbs 4.5
    ... If you mean you cannot PING from the WIN98 box to any outside server - then ... that is normal for a PROXY connection through SBS 4.5. ... You have to test for connectivity from the server itself. ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz)
  • Re: cant ping any website through sbs 4.5
    ... it should ping from client but now it don't work. ... > that is normal for a PROXY connection through SBS 4.5. ... > You have to test for connectivity from the server itself. ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz)
  • Re: Planning to build a medium-range box for a Linux/Debian based server ...
    ... I use the Tyan S2927A2NRF board for my server. ... There is RAID ... There are two firewire connectors and multiple USB connectors. ... so it does require a deeper chassis. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)