Re: What can I do about breakin attempts?

ibuprofin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Moe Trin) (06-03-01 13:56:22):

What I was trying to say is that as long as you have the ability to
get to the port without authentication, the attacker has also. If
you restrict the allowed IP addresses to a set of "trusted" or at
least "known" addresses, then the attacker has still a chance to
compromise one of those boxes first.

Yes, but first you have to know what my address is (the ones in these
headers isn't even in the same /4), and what addresses I might be
accepting connections from, and what user names I might allow. Now
before you say they just pick an IP address at random, maybe you want
to think through the implications above.

Your assumption is that any attacker is some foreign guy, who just does
this for fun. But in fact, many (if not even most) attacks against
companies originate from some co-worker.

Maybe he has even legitimate access to those systems. (This is the
theory that everyone is a potential attacker).

You're being a little over paranoid there.

I'm just careful. I just insist on my privacy.

I always assume the worst-case-scenario. A 'real' attacker is any
attacker with appropriate skills to break into systems. And as said,
he might have a good reason to break into _your_ system.

A "real" attacker is a professional. He doesn't waste large amounts of
time trying to break in to a system on the chance that there MIGHT be
something valuable enough to repay for the hours involved.

Yes, but if he _knows_ that there _is_ valuable data, then he will spend
that time.

In my case even the government wouldn't get to my data, as it lays
encrypted on my hard-disk, as long as there are no serious security
flaws known about the encryption method I use.

and no one has installed a sniffer to catch your pass phrase... But
if your data is that valuable to someone, why is it on the computer?

Should I write it down on paper? My data is not valuable at all, it's
just my personal data. I'm talking about a private host. As said
above, I'm just concerned about my privacy.

Regards.
.