Re: Remote access (suse) and fixed IP (needed??)

* ac <"aec$news"@candt.demon.co.uk>:
> I would be grateful for comments about whether I can arrange
> remote access to a chosen PC on the home lan via fairly normal
> internet techniques, given strong passwords or procedures,
> using an ISP without a fixed IP for my broadband connection.
>
> The reason is - a local provider has the advantage of its
> equipment in the UK BT local exchange, and can offer very low
> rates for domestic packages which would probably suit me. But I
> notice it is non-fixed IP.

Smells like NTHell. :)

> it is just possible in the future that I would like to try
> setting up remote access to the home machine/s from - say- a
> relatives house.
>
> Is a fixed IP from the isp essential for this, or are there
> some options or possibilities?

It is straightforward to work around it. Get an account at one
of those dynamic dns places like www.no-ip.com or www.dyndns.com.
If your router doesn't support ddns, you will need a client
running on a machine at home to update it each time your ip
address changes.

Then forward ssh traffic from the router to a computer on your
lan, and hop from that machine to the others as required.

Feel free to use a non-standard port for ssh, deny root login,
restrict login to specified users or from specified ip addresses
/ ranges, whatever you want really...

--
Andrew Preater

  • Re: A humble newbie question re probes
    ... >An inquiry to them resulted in them telling us to go away and ask our ISP ... >Why should a strange system be probing our home LAN? ... You can stop all that by opening NETWORK in your Windows ... around the house, buy a ROUTER. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: A humble newbie question re probes
    ... >An inquiry to them resulted in them telling us to go away and ask our ISP ... >Why should a strange system be probing our home LAN? ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • A humble newbie question re probes
    ... persists in probling our home LAN. ... An inquiry to them resulted in them telling us to go away and ask our ISP ... Why should a strange system be probing our home LAN? ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: DNS Server for LAN
    ... >> On my home LAN I have PCs and other devices that I access using their IP ... in addition to those provided by my ISP? ... Is this worth the ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)